20 yards vs 40 yards

10gaugemeow

I know the common thing is to pattern at 40 yards but how often is 20 yards shots taken ? i also noticed while pattern i was able to hit a 20 yard target like 3x easy as 40 yards . i put 320 #6 copper plated lead shot in a 10" circle at 20 yards with 2 1/4 oz load . reading all the post on oldgobbler makes you think that shotting a turkey under 50 yards never happens ::ke:

WFL

The thing with the lead is that it fall off big time at the 40 yard rang. If you going to use lead you need to try it at the 40 yard mark and I would say cut the line at 40. That way if you have it off some you will kill bird and not just hurt him. If you want to shoot 40 to 60 go with the heavy shot. HV-13 or Winchester Elite

hawglips

Banned
I know the common thing is to pattern at 40 yards but how often is 20 yards shots taken? i also noticed while pattern i was able to hit a 20 yard target like 3x easy as 40 yards .

Is your gun's POI off?

dtala

I always patter guns/shells at 40 yards, then try a shot at 10 and 20 yards. I did kill a gobbler at two yards onct upon a time.....

troy

dtala

if...you...have...to....use...a...bipod...YA NEED A NEW GUN.....

lighter, with TWO beads....

WFL

Well the big thing with the chokes that are out now if it is a bad boy at the 40 it will blow hole at 20. I have saw some that blow holes at 30.

10gaugemeow

i just always used a bipod on every thing exept pistols and now im kinda spoiled on them . yeah i got a 12 ga that will blow holes at 30 yd but its not fun to shoot really

WFL

Yup I can see that you would need one. We get guys come by and shoot a chokes then want some of the stuff that is around the 280 to 300 mark at 40. They jump up and down to get it. You try to talk them out of it and after the 1st week they back to get something more open. We joke around the shop about shooting O/U with long rang in one barrel and short rang in other. lol

hawglips

Banned
320 @ 20 with a 10 GA?

Lots of room for improvement.

oh no its not that its with the 10 ga it doesnt have 2 beads and i cant really see what im aiming at @ 40 as i can @ 20.

Seems like an awful lot of gun to be toting around just to shoot 20 yds. You can get some cheap fiber optic snap on sights that help a lot with the POA/POI.

10gaugemeow

090910_11231.jpg

poi was like 1.5" off at 20 yards lol .

Nitro

Banned
What are you shooting ?? Improved Cylinder?????????

:bounce::bounce:

At 20 yards with my BPS10, Kick's .685 and a 3 oz load of Nickeled Nitro #5s it looks like I threw a softball through the target.

I wouldn't be worrying about your 20 yard pattern.............I would like to see what your gun does at 40.......

Brad C.

What are you shooting ?? Improved Cylinder?????????

:bounce::bounce:

At 20 yards with my BPS10, Kick's .685 and a 3 oz load of Nickeled Nitro #5s it looks like I threw a softball through the target.

I wouldn't be worrying about your 20 yard pattern.............I would like to see what your gun does at 40.......

Hey Hal, now I know where the phrase I feel like I have been hit by a brick came from! :D