Hens behaving badly

hootnhollar

I was sitting in the deer stand this morning and had hens flying down from the roost in all directions. About 25 birds flew down and began to feed on the road I was sitting on, the birds got in one big group and all heck broke loose. They were hopping up and down and cackeling, purring very loudly and feathers were flying. :hammers: Next thing I know half the birds are makeing a run for it ::gone: and the others just went back to feeding. I though it was pretty neat to see hens really go at it for once instead of gobblers. Any one else ever experience this before? Some of the hens had their tail feathers up as if in a half strut. Kinda looked like a ruffed grouse. lol

Turkeydoghunter

All the time man all the time...there is a pecking order and in the fall and winter with big flocks there is alot of figting going on .......glad you got to see it.....thats why i love fall hunting....Ron

hawglips

Banned
I was sitting in the deer stand this morning and had hens flying down from the roost in all directions. About 25 birds flew down and began to feed on the road I was sitting on, the birds got in one big group and all heck broke loose. They were hopping up and down and cackeling, purring very loudly and feathers were flying. :hammers: Next thing I know half the birds are makeing a run for it ::gone: and the others just went back to feeding. I though it was pretty neat to see hens really go at it for once instead of gobblers. Any one else ever experience this before? Some of the hens had their tail feathers up as if in a half strut. Kinda looked like a ruffed grouse. lol

Sounds like normal hen behavior. I've never seen it in that large a scale, but have with small flocks.

BOB_HARWELL

Some of the hens were having a 'hot flash' from minnapauze.

BOB

hootnhollar

LOL yeah I mean I've seen hens pick at one another but not in such a big group like that. It was pretty neat, and has me itching for march. Deer hunting just doesn't fix my.....fix. Ya know? Deer hunting fills the freezer, turkey hunting is about the chase.

Brad

Last weekend I was sitting in my stand and about 200 yards out a gobbler stepped out in the trail and started walking towards me,about that time 3 grown hens and a bunch of young ones came out in the same trail about 75 yards from me and started feeding around. When the gobbler saw them he tucked his wings and mean walked all the way to them and ran them all off the trail and started feeding. They would come back and he would run them off again. This went on for about 45 minutes. I have never seen that behaviour in the fall just hens fighting hens or gobblers fighting gobblers.