Looking for a dual sided pot call

I want to purchase my first custom call and was thinking about getting a dual sided call. Does anyone have a suggestion for a call maker that makes them. I was thinking something along the lines of of a glass over a slate, maybe even a ceramic. Any suggestions?

J Gilbert

There are some great custom callmakers on here. Check out pictures posted up from David Mills, Lee Chadwick (GADAWGS, notice the lack of a space in the spelling) Rut N Strut (Tim Sandford) and Snood Collector (Jim Ward). They're all very good guys to deal with and will help you as best they can. There are some other great guys out there of course, some others I know make great turkey calls are David Halloran (one of my favorites) and Steve Reeves (Supreme Turkey Calls). Do some searches on this forum and you'll have plenty of reading material, there are a bunch of great call makers out there. The best thing you can do is run the calls yourself but if that's not possible, the callmakers can run several over the phone for you and let you pick one that suits your ear.

Last edited:

trkyburns

Alan Sentell, newmoon game calls, makes a great two sided call... best pot call I've had. I haven't heard from him in a while so I don't know how many he is still making now but send him a pm. He is Newmoon on the forum.

WbyMan

Tim Sandford makes one of the finest pot calls and he makes a two sided caller. I recommend Tim. There are some fine callmakers on this forum. I just know he makes a double sided pot. Good luck.

fountain

tim sandfords double talk..wont find any better
beautiful front glass over slate on back
DSC00926.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

Huntinfool

Honestly, I've never been a big fan of double sided calls. I get the idea. But I've never seen one that really was as good as I wanted it to be. The top surface always seems muffled by the bottom and the bottom is never really big enough to do anything IMO...and it's muffled as well.

Some folks say they get a great muffled purr out of the bottom surface (usually slate). But I just don't get it. Why flip a call over to purr?

Anyway, not telling you not to get one...I just have never encountered one that I really thought was awesome and I've played a few of the ones mentioned on here.

I know you're just trying to get the most for your money. But sometimes, less truly is more....asssuming you care what I think!!!

fountain

double sided calls are cool and im with huntinfool on the usage of the slate. i have only used it a few times. hard to use either side when you can see the bird close.

all that said...copper and ceramic is where its at!:cool::banana: check em out..sound awesome...Tims does anyways

trkyburns

Honestly, I've never been a big fan of double sided calls. I get the idea. But I've never seen one that really was as good as I wanted it to be. The top surface always seems muffled by the bottom and the bottom is never really big enough to do anything IMO...and it's muffled as well.

Some folks say they get a great muffled purr out of the bottom surface (usually slate). But I just don't get it. Why flip a call over to purr?

Anyway, not telling you not to get one...I just have never encountered one that I really thought was awesome and I've played a few of the ones mentioned on here.

I know you're just trying to get the most for your money. But sometimes, less truly is more....asssuming you care what I think!!!

You make a very good point here. I like the glass top of mine and its as good as any but all I've ever really been able to get out of the slate is a muffled purr... Although there's just something about that muffled purr when you're trying to get him to commit to those last 20-30 yards or so.

rutandstrut

You make a very good point here. I like the glass top of mine and its as good as any but all I've ever really been able to get out of the slate is a muffled purr... Although there's just something about that muffled purr when you're trying to get him to commit to those last 20-30 yards or so.

I am not sure about the other Calls mentioned...The "Double Talk" and "Over and Under" Calls that I make are Two Fully Functional Calls and when matched with 2 or 3 Strikers can make you sound like 4 to 6 different Hens without changing Calls. Double Sided Calls may not be for everyone...they are an economical way to get Two Different Calls in one package if both sides of the Call perform as a Turkey Call should! Have the ability to make all the Turkey Sounds that a Wild Turkey Hen makes!

JLC

I am not sure about the other Calls mentioned...The "Double Talk" and "Over and Under" Calls that I make are Two Fully Functional Calls and when matched with 2 or 3 Strikers can make you sound like 4 to 6 different Hens without changing Calls. Double Sided Calls may not be for everyone...they are an economical way to get Two Different Calls in one package if both sides of the Call perform as a Turkey Call should! Have the ability to make all the Turkey Sounds that a Wild Turkey Hen makes!

I agree.

creekrocket

I think the copper or aluminum doubles are pretty jam up. If you have the opportunity to get someone to make one of those for you, then I would jump on it.

Huntinfool

Tim, you make our double sided with copper? I'm gonna add yours to the list of "need to trys". Might be interested in putting copper on the top though.

icdedturkes

:clap:

I have walked around the convention and played seemingly every double sider and I agree.. On some you can get a breaking yelp, but look where you are playing this small surface.. You are playing the call past the sweet spot of the other side.. How many play their pots in the middle..

rutandstrut

:clap:

I have walked around the convention and played seemingly every double sider and I agree.. On some you can get a breaking yelp, but look where you are playing this small surface.. You are playing the call past the sweet spot of the other side.. How many play their pots in the middle..

Due to the fact that most Double Sided Calls have a 3.48" Top Calling Surface and a 2.98" or smaller Internal Sound Board, which doubles as the 2nd Calling Surface. There is no way that the Two Calling Surfaces will have the same sweet spot!

Most of the Double Sided Calls I have played force you to play the call in the middle...due to the fact that the Call Maker put a straight sided hole in the bottom of the call which is usually somewhere between 1" to 2.5" in Diameter. Most also use a solid Pedestal or glued in posts to hold the Sound Board (which becomes the 2nd Calling Surface) when flipped over! I have only played one Double Sided Call that has the Bottom Opened up to 2-2.5" and has the opening beveled so that you can maintain the proper Striker angle on the Bottom...the same as you do on the Top Calling Surface!

fountain

huntinfool..no "need to try" one of tims calls...its more of a "got to have sevearl in the vest" deal. i have not played one yet that didnt talk turkey. my double sided call sounds great on both sides with yelps, clucks, and purrs..with the clucks and purrs sounding super natural. pack that with a neon green diaphragm and you are deadly.