Southern WMA's

Any of yall boys hunt wma's in south georgia. Ive hunted a few of them and they seem really overhunted and over populated with ppl that is.. Have heard a few birds gobble but have had ppl move in on me while im calling to the bird or he is still on the limb. There is nothing you can do but try to get off the road as far as possible . Just wondering if you guys hunt down this way and is there a wma thats a lil less populated..

M Sharpe

It's probably just going to get worst with the price of land leases going up each year.

Gadget

I've decided to hunt Fl WMA's again this year...... to get away from the crowds......:bounce:

Gadget,
I hunt fla Wma's myself. And love the quotas ... I got ralf simmions this year.been waiting for 6 years... But I love the woods up in s. ga ..I guess so does alot of ppl...

redneckacorn

No there are none that I know of in South Ga where you ain't gone see anyone. And whats worse is by opening morning those birds have heard all the calling they can stand by the "Road Callers". That being said I usually try to hunt my secret honey hole for the first 5 days and then I give it a break for a couple of weeks and let the folks who are bent on screwing things up for the rest of us have at it. This year I am lucky enough to have a small tract eat up with turkeys, I hope my season is a little less frustrating .

sman

Year before last I hit one of those WMA's over there. I had no idea where to go just flying blind. Walk off from my truck before daylight get about 300 yards down the road and one gobbles back at the truck. I walk back to the truck and the bird is 75 yards from the hood of my truck. I circle him thinking he will see the truck go my way. He started gobbling early which is never good on a WMA before he flew down 2 trucks parked beside mine. The bird went silent. I never saw him, but I did get to wave to one of the hunters who was set up 50 ards from my truck.

Honestly that was about the rudest stupidest thing I have ever seen. It was a bottom right of the road surronded by a clear cut. What the bird was doing there I have no idea, how he got out of the triangle of death is beyond my imagination.

M Sharpe

Honestly that was about the rudest stupidest thing I have ever seen. It was a bottom right of the road surronded by a clear cut. What the bird was doing there I have no idea, how he got out of the triangle of death is beyond my imagination.
sman I have learned over the years of hunting public land.....to expect the unexpected. It just makes you wonder what goes through some people's mind.......or if they even have one.

HuntNTails

With the number of wma's closing and/or losing acres, leased land prices going up, and more people wanting to get into it; I would say that it's definitely going to get worse. We lost one of our wma's last year near my house and another one close by has lost a lot of acres in the last couple of years.

Sad thing is that one they are gone or lose acres, the state will probably not every pick them up again so public land is probably just going to be a madhouse in the future.

Latest posts