PDA

View Full Version : To strut or not to strut...

swamppirate
12-27-2010, 09:50 PM
How many of you guys use a struttin' decoy? I usually use a jake (non-aggressive) and hen set up...been thinking about trying the strutter this year....any thoughts or comments?

Gadget
12-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I use a spread of strutting decoys, modified two pretty boys so they are in a fighting position one on top of the other, have a B-Mobil mounted to a remote controlled car so I can drive it around the other two that are fighting, throw in a couple jakes and hens for good measure, pop up the double bull and be ready to shoot............ :cool:

swamppirate
12-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Man...you must get to the woods about two hours before daylight just to set all that up....I'd like to see that set up.....please send a pic!!:biggrin2:

trkyhntr70
I use a spread of strutting decoys, modified two pretty boys so they are in a fighting position one on top of the other, have a B-Mobil mounted to a remote controlled car so I can drive it around the other two that are fighting, throw in a couple jakes and hens for good measure, pop up the double bull and be ready to shoot............ :cool:

Thats the same set up Jody Hawk uses:bounce:

nhancedsvt

So now the secret's out on how you kill so many birds every year...:rofl:

Gadget
12-27-2010, 10:32 PM
So now the secret's out on how you kill so many birds every year...:rofl:

That and the 7yr secret.......... DEADLY:cool:

Gadget
12-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Thats the same set up Jody Hawk uses:bounce:

I'm the one that taught him how to do it, when he started using my decoy system is when he went to killing 10-15 gobblers a year.

trkyhntr70
12-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm the one that taught him how to do it, when he started using my decoy system is when he went to killing 10-15 gobblers a year.

its a killa, secrets out now:cool:

swamppirate
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe somehting like this??:confused:

Jody Hawk
12-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Trkyhntr70 wears out a different turkey gun every season using this system. Three years ago when I first met him, he had a Remington 870 pump, then two years ago, he got a Winchester X2 shooting Nitro shells, then back to the 870 pump for the 2010 season and this year he has a brand spanking new 870 pump shooting #4 lead. :cool:

trkyhntr70
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Trkyhntr70 wears out a different turkey gun every season using this system. Three years ago when I first met him, he had a Remington 870 pump, then two years ago, he got a Winchester X2 shooting Nitro shells, then back to the 870 pump for the 2010 season and this year he has a brand spanking new 870 pump shooting #4 lead. :cool:

Wrong,
I think you forgot about my new M2 with deltapoint sight:biggrin2:

Jody Hawk
12-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Wrong,
I think you forgot about my new M2 with deltapoint sight:biggrin2:

Holding one don't count. :rofl:

swamppirate
12-27-2010, 10:50 PM
M2.....and a deltapoint......???? To fancy for me. Old 870 and steel bead.

trkyhntr70
12-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Holding one don't count. :rofl:

hey dont be stingy on me now; remember who gave ya your favorite new slate call:D
this time you call and I shoot:biggrin3:

Gadget
12-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Man...you must get to the woods about two hours before daylight just to set all that up....I'd like to see that set up.....please send a pic!!:biggrin2:

Nah, only takes me a few minutes to setup, I pull them around on a small trailer attached to my 4wheeler.

dawg2
12-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Nah, only takes me a few minutes to setup, I pull them around on a small trailer attached to my 4wheeler.

Wht about crickets?:D

dawg2
12-27-2010, 11:36 PM
How many of you guys use a struttin' decoy? I usually use a jake (non-aggressive) and hen set up...been thinking about trying the strutter this year....any thoughts or comments?

To answer your question, I have never used a strutting decoy. I just don't want to and doubt I ever will. I think you may also scare off some birds IMO.

Gut_Pile
12-28-2010, 12:00 AM
To answer your question, I have never used a strutting decoy. I just don't want to and doubt I ever will. I think you may also scare off some birds IMO.

We all know that people who practice QTM wouldn't shoot birds that shy from a full strut decoy anyways because they probably only have 1" spurs, and true QTM advocates only shoot 4yr old birds or older. :bounce:

trkyburns
12-28-2010, 09:03 AM

You really need two people to make this setup work... One person drives the remote control car while the other does a continuous fighting purr until the gobbler or gobblers get within range. TEM2 showed me this trick. We killed some monsters down on cedar creek with this setup.

Gadget
12-28-2010, 09:48 AM
You really need two people to make this setup work... One person drives the remote control car while the other does a continuous fighting purr until the gobbler or gobblers get within range. TEM2 showed me this trick. We killed some monsters down on cedar creek with this setup.

The beautiful thing about this setup is that you can often limit out on your first hunt by killing three gobblers in one shot, Georgia is one of the few states that allow you to do this. If you get one of those big outhouse pop up blinds you can easily fit three guys in there; if 9 gobblers come in you can kill all 9 at one time.................. Awesome!!:cool::cool:

When your in the pop-up you don't have to worry about moving, we sit in there with our iphones posting updates on Facebook waiting for the gobblers.

nhancedsvt
12-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Gadget you're forgetting about the squealing hen call... that thing is deadly in the right hands!:rofl:

Mix that with the fighting purrs and the full strut decoys and even you could probably kill birds consistently like TEM2...:rofl:

Turkeydoghunter
12-28-2010, 10:41 AM
you guys really got it bad .....THE FEAVER.....:pop2:.
GA needs a fall season

swamppirate
12-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I think what I'll do is... scout out the area about two months before hand...build a tree house...who needs a blind...set out three stuttin fully taxidermied gobblers that are mounted on Lionel train sets....then have a harem of robot hens that continually squat as is they are getting ready to get mounted....all the while posting on my facebook, twittering and playing black ops on the Wii....should work.:fine:

nhancedsvt
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I think what I'll do is... scout out the area about two months before hand...build a tree house...who needs a blind...set out three stuttin fully taxidermied gobblers that are mounted on Lionel train sets....then have a harem of robot hens that continually squat as is they are getting ready to get mounted....all the while posting on my facebook, twittering and playing black ops on the Wii....should work.:fine:

Glad that we could help you out! Good luck!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

big country rnr
12-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I use the B- ans she- mobiles... Have had success and drastic failures .. Some birds know there decoys.. And and B-mobile will scare the poop out a jake. Will make them run into trees. lol... Works good on old stubborn birds...

BOB_HARWELL
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
I've used a 'yote pup decoy with great success for about 10 yrs. The gobblers purr, hens squeal & after the shot 'dead silence' falls over the woods. I shoot # 22 TSS shot & could kill a gobbler at 250 yds. if I wanted to.

BOB

dawg2
12-28-2010, 04:37 PM
The beautiful thing about this setup is that you can often limit out on your first hunt by killing three gobblers in one shot, Georgia is one of the few states that allow you to do this. If you get one of those big outhouse pop up blinds you can easily fit three guys in there; if 9 gobblers come in you can kill all 9 at one time.................. Awesome!!:cool::cool:

When your in the pop-up you don't have to worry about moving, we sit in there with our iphones posting updates on Facebook waiting for the gobblers.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dawg2
12-28-2010, 04:37 PM
We all know that people who practice QTM wouldn't shoot birds that shy from a full strut decoy anyways because they probably only have 1" spurs, and true QTM advocates only shoot 4yr old birds or older. :bounce:

Problem is, those mature birds have too much meat to cut out from battle wounds;)

boparks
12-28-2010, 06:40 PM

I secretly became a Pro Staffer for ACME Hologramhics last year but was not allowed to dicuss until now some testing I've been doing with their new scientific prototypes.

This sysytem allows you to do what you're doing Rick with the turkey train thing but by using a hologram projector from one central location. No four wheeler noise to spook birds and no need to worry about the remote control car flipping over at an in-opportune time. We all know what a problem that can be.

In testing I had mine set on the "Jake Harem Salughter" mode which has one strutting jake, one jake mounted on a hen, 2 squealin hens, 2 fighting gobblers and a chicken.

Amazingly it even projects crickets all around the group.

The system has a remote control sound option as well. The hen yelps are in dobly digital and is unbelievably realistic.

You get this thing going with the squealin hens, yelping, fighting purrs, and cock-a-doodle-doin all going at once, look out because I had gobblers coming in from every direction at once. One gobbler was in such a hurry he flew straight into a barbed wire fence and killed himslef so I just picked him up on the way out.

The projector settings allow projections from 10 to 30 yards and show up well even on sunny days.

There's no need to carry a gun because you can get an accessory package that allows for a 6 gram C-4 explosive (claymores for SC which has a 5 bird limit) with remote detonation button that velcros to any of the decoys. The instructions recommend using it at least 25 yards away but it will flat drop any gobbler within 5 yards of the decoy that it explodes on and in some cases it will de-feather the bird for you on the spot. (You do have to be 21 to buy this option)

To some this may not seem like a challenge but it really adds another elemnet to hunting.

I'll be taking orders soon ...and of course I'll give all of you a discount after you send me your deposit:biggrin3:

nhancedsvt
12-29-2010, 12:00 AM
I'll take 2 Mr.Bobby, just tell me where to send my deposit. I know you would never steer us wrong...:bounce: