2010 Trout Season

MadDawg51

As the weather warmed a bit today, I was thinking about trout. Seasonal streams open in less than 3 months - March 27th I believe. I wonder what folks are doing to get ready.

Did you get new rods/reels for Christmas? - If you've been bad, a new carbon fibre rod would be a different twist on the lumps of coal.

What new flys are you tying?

So far, I have just been looking at the bench. But, I'm starting to think about what is needed to prepare.

Georgia Hard Hunter

I don't spend much time on skinny water so seasons don't effect me much. Fished Burford Dam last week brought several to hand 2 nice rainbows and several 9" Browns that seem to infest that section of river. I didn't get much for Christmas, been tying like a madman. Mainly the basics, Bead Head Pheasant Tails #14 #18, rubber leg Bead head Hares Ear#12 #16, Bead head rubber leg Prince Nymph #8 #12 #16, BWO nymph #20 #22, Brassies 4 colors #20 #22, Zebra midges 2 colors #20 #22, Woolly Buggers black green #6 #12 some with lots of flash some with very little, assorted Soft Hackles #16 #18, Black Stone flys #8, Golden Stone flys #8, Early Black Stone flys #16, #14 Pheasant tail with sulpher thorax
I didn't have my boxes stocked this spring so I spent most of my night before's tying basics instead of tying specialty "time of year/special needs for certain rivers flys

allenww

Tying

Buggers in 8, 10. Gnats in 18, streamers in 10 and 12, and
all the bug larvae I can think of in 16 and 20.

My eyes don't work well below 20.

wa

Georgia Hard Hunter

My eyes don't work well below 20.

I'm pretty much blind on anything smaller than a #14, I bought the 5 power glasses from Orvis. Solved the too small problem down to about #24 only problem now is I look like a computer nerd looking thru coke bottle glasses

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I'm pretty much blind on anything smaller than a #14, I bought the 5 power glasses from Orvis. Solved the too small problem down to about #24 only problem now is I look like a computer nerd looking thru coke bottle glasses

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I will be tying lots of caddis imitations, drys and nymphs. Also be tying some Zebra Midges #22-24.

Jimmy Harris

As the weather warmed a bit today, I was thinking about trout. Seasonal streams open in less than 3 months - March 27th I believe. I wonder what folks are doing to get ready.

I get ready by fishing all winter when possible. Last Monday I caught rainbows on the Guadalupe River in Texas. Saturday morning found me on Dukes Creek in the rain catching more rainbows and Sunday you would have found a friend and myself on the Chattooga DH section nymphing in the marginally high water with nice results on Prince Nymphs and Pheasant Tails. I've found that when I "think about trout" I don't have the discipline not to go find some. It was a great way to end 2010 and begin 2011.

Jimmy Harris

Great place to fish and suprising large trout for Texas....

It was a true surprise. We didn't catch a fish under 14 or 15 inches. First fish I had on just bulldogged me until the hook pulled out. Fishing size 18 & 20 midge emerger patterns. I got several good looks at it and I'm guessing it was very close to 20 inches.

Our guide was great! Fellow named Alvin Dedeaux, black dude with dreadlocks down to his waist and the most personably guy I've ever made a trip with. Excellent angler also.