Getting ready to hunt over bait after deer season

Gamecock Fan

Trying to nail down best bait. One suggestion was to fill 5 gallon bucket 3/4 with corn and add a beer for the yeast and fill the rest with water. Sit for a few days then pour out. Anyone tried this or have another suggestion?

FlyDawg72

Trying to nail down best bait. One suggestion was to fill 5 gallon bucket 3/4 with corn and add a beer for the yeast and fill the rest with water. Sit for a few days then pour out. Anyone tried this or have another suggestion?

I have always heard watered down peanut butter with corn and Karo or maple syrup.

Get a bucket or a barrel with a lid, drill holes in the side large enough for the corn to fall out. Once filled, lay the bucket on it's side, and roll around the area you want to bait. Then put it in the middle of the area where you rolled it around.

The pigs come eat the nibbles on the ground and will work to get the corn out of the barrel which keeps them there longer since it isn't just a PILE of corn that they can eat in just a few minutes.

As long as the corn keeps falling out of the barrel, the pigs will stay and eat.

tsknmcn

Use post hole diggers and dig a hole about 2' deep to pour your corn concoction in. That will keep them busy.

deputy430

Not legal to hunt over bait here in Ga, but I have heard the Corn and Grape kool aid mixture works well.

Gamecock Fan

I checked with the DNR and after deer season I can get a permit to hunt over bait on private property. They said to give them a call and can be approved over the phone.

smitty

bait

Also mix some type of jello mix in there,you can also soak burlap in diesel wrap around a tree.The hogs love to rub all over it,also put it in corn and they will be only one eating it:cool:

Gamecock Fan

Thanks, I am actually from GA but currently live in FL. Have property in Twiggs County that for some reason is covered up with hogs.

coondog96

I checked with the DNR and after deer season I can get a permit to hunt over bait on private property. They said to give them a call and can be approved over the phone.

this is true, got mine yesterday in the mail.i am good thru August minus turkey season,it is no good during turkey season.it is also only good on the property in which you requested it for.DNR also said that i could lend it to someone else to use as long as they only use it on the requested property as long as i give them written permision and they have that and the permitt with them during the hunt.

FlyDawg72

hole diggers and soak corn in diesel fuel. they love it.

...ok... I understand the diesel fuel on a rub, but if you soak the corn in the diesel and the hogs eat it, will the meat be tainted in any way?

I like smoke cured meat, not diesel cured.

gonehoghutin

corn oranges and sauerkraut do the job everytime we used it where i was born in davenport FLA and they love it here just as much if not better

SEMed

Option 2

I used to use a similar strategy. We would buy a 10' piece of that black 6" diameter flex pipe. Take hay bailing wire and shut off one end. Holes in the sides of the shut off end and hay bail wire the open end about 5 feet off the ground to a tree. You just add more corn to the open end at the tree.

Takes the a long time to shake all the corn out. Holds a ton of corn and makes a ton of noise. Dad called it a hog rattle, but I don't know if that is what it is really called. Worked great holding them.

Daddy also soaked burlap saks in tar or used motor oil and wired them to tree trunks for them to rub. Never tried that but the RATTLE worked great.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
what is it about diesel fuel or motor oil that the hogs like?

I would Guess they have learned it helps keep the bugs off, but like I said, it is just a guess............surely they have been here long enough to have tried anything and everything imaginable........they probably first tried it when some person dumped a bunch of it somewhere

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sorry to have gotten :offtopic:. Too bad it is sooooo cold outside. If it were HOT, water in the corn would do just fine and it would sour QUICK.........you may need to help it sour a little this time of year.