The arrogance of atheism.

VisionCasting

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2010/12/29/2010-12-29_the_arrogance_of_the_atheists_they_batter_believers_with_smug_certainty.html?page=1

I though this NY Daily News opinion was interesting, especially as it comes from an atheist.

My favorite quote: "When the esteemed theologian David Martyn Lloyd-Jones asked C.S. Lewis when he would write another book, Lewis responded, "When I understand the meaning of prayer." It was an acknowledgment that he - a thinker with a much sharper mind than, say, Maher's - didn't know everything. I implore my fellow atheists to take this humility to heart. There's still a lot to learn, but only if you're not too busy being a know-it-all."

atlashunter

Which atheist claimed they know everything? Sources and links please :pop:

ambush80

"The truth is, folks like Maher and Silverman don't want to know about actual belief - in fact, they are much more certain about the nature of the world than most actual believers, who understand that a measure of doubt is necessary for faith."

Really, now?

VisionCasting

Last edited:

ambush80

Where lies the arrogance? Someone claims that there is an invisible being that speaks only to them and that the being tells them what is right and wrong for everybody. Someone else says: lets put aside the things that can only be perceived by the individual and figure things out using language that we can ALL agree on.

VisionCasting

Someone claims that there is an invisible being that speaks only to them and that the being tells them what is right and wrong for everybody. ALL agree on.

Sources and links please :pop:

Your strawman bears no weight.

atlashunter

Which atheist claimed they know everything? Sources and links please :pop:

Still waiting for this laundry list of atheists who claim to know it all. Shall I hold my breath?:bounce:

VisionCasting

Still waiting for this laundry list of atheists who claim to know it all. Shall I hold my breath?:bounce:

Oxygen deprivation can ruin your brain function. Don't do it.

Can you point to where I said all atheists know all? Sources and links please. :pop:

stringmusic

read through some of the post here, you will find numerous people who "know it all".

ambush80

Sources and links please :pop:

Your strawman bears no weight.

Oh my goodness!!! Really? Who do you go to to get the answer to that question? You, yourself, and you. Y'all have that same book and can't get the story straight.

I bet we can ALL agree that 2+2=4. That's a language that we can all agree on. No interpretation. No discernment.

Pigs fly? No they don't. Donkeys talk? No-- they--don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

TTom

Well source one the arrogance of atheists ( the title does not separate out those atheists who are arrogant and think they know it all and those who dont' and who focus their atheism on the specific fact that they don't know for certain.) Thus it lumps all atheist together

Source two the closing line of your OP ends with "There's still a lot to learn, but only if you're not too busy being a know-it-all."

Speaking of strawmen this one fits the bill perfectly. You were not charged with saying ALL atheists, only asked to provide enough of a list to justify the title "The arrogance of Atheists", which infers that arrogance is a prevalent problem among atheist. So based on your choice of title, you must have some evidence to back up that inference that arrogance is a prevalent issue.

ambush80

read through some of the post here, you will find numerous people who "know it all".

What do YOU know? Jesus rose from the dead? A hundred thousand animals were packed into a boat for 40 days and nights; cared for and fed? And why do you believe this? Because it jives with everything else that you've observed in your time here on Earth?

atlashunter

Christian: I know how the universe and everything in it came to be. (Fill in creation story, talking snake, worldwide flood, 900 year old men, talking bush, man living in fish for 3 days, men and dinos living together, human sacrifice of gods son that is really the same god to himself so he can pay the price owed to himself for all the bad stuff people he created knowing they would do did, Jesus miracles, etc...) And if you believe what I'm telling you then you'll live forever after you die in another dimension that will be more pleasant than you could possibly ever imagine. BUT if you don't believe this then after you die you'll burn over and over and over again forever in a place that is more miserable than you can ever imagine!

Atheist: How do you know all this?

Christian: Because I read it in this book written by some goat herders in a middle eastern desert a few thousand years ago.

Atheist: You're beliefs are myths.

Christian: Arrogant know it all!!!

I'm thinking that the well thought out and logical posts of late on this forum are starting to get under the skin of certain believers.::ke:

Are you upset that the atheists and agnostics are making a lot of sense?

RW

ambush80

I'm thinking that the well thought out and logical posts of late on this forum are starting to get under the skin of certain believers.::ke:

Are you upset that they're making a lot of sense?

RW

They're going to need a miracle.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A warnin` to both sides. Mockery will not be tolerated. Neither will blasphemy.

ambush80

Seriously, Vision,

Lets talk about how belief in things unseen changes the way that you approach a traffic jam. Or a presidential candidate. Or cheating on your taxes. Matters of consequence.

ambush80

A warnin` to both sides. Mockery will not be tolerated. Neither will blasphemy.

With the utmost due respect, I reviewed all of the stickies and found no definition of Blasphemy or Mockery. Is there somewhere that this information can be viewed?