PDA

View Full Version : big buck counties of SW Ga

grouper throat
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I know i've seen it on here before, but I can't seem to find it with the search function. The data showing the big buck counties of SW Ga. Or someone could just tell me which ones they are. Thanks:cheers:

catch22
01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
in no particular order

dooly, colquitt, lee, worth, doughtery, macon, turner, crisp, sumter

golffreak
01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
You can throw Early County in there as well. There are a lot of trophy bucks killed in Early County every year without fail.

Ruger Theory
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
We have killed three ten pointers out of Calhoun this year alone.

golffreak
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
We have killed three ten pointers out of Calhoun this year alone.

Yep, Calhoun is good too. The biggest deer I've ever seen crossed just in front of my truck on my way to our lease about 5 years ago.

Hairtrigger
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I was told GON puts that list in an issue each year.

Denny2277
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
in no particular order

Don't forget Brooks!

chaplainkramer
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
We never see Calhoun listed on any of the GON big buck state-wide lists; but I know there's some good'uns killed there every year.

I think Calhoun is pretty much a shoot-and-keep-your-mouth-shut county.

Boondocks
01-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Yes Cahoun is.And if these Bama Boys don't keep their mouths shut and let the secret out about real SW Ga..They will have more competion.LOL!!!

Hut2
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
in no particular order

That's the list ,minus crisp!

bat
01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Page 35 and 37 of the October issue. Pre-2010-11 season.

Macon(1), Lee(2), Worth(3), Colquitt(6), Turner(7), Dooly(8), Dougherty(10), Taylor(11), Sumter(12) for the dirty dozen in that order. Down the line Baker(13), Mitchell(24), Crisp(28) and Wilcox(t-28). That should give you an idea. Just about all of the SW section has potential for big bucks, just pick one out and see what is available(land wise). Good luck!

I left out several I knew were out of SW Ga. but some of those may be out as well according to where the official dividing line for SW Ga. is located.

kevincox
01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I need me a place to hunt in those areas. Im down there working all the time and still waiting for an invite lol

slipknot
01-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Lets not forget Thomas....

wmt123
01-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Don't Say lee and colquitt. Its suppose to be a secret!!!!!!!!

Nicodemus
01-10-2011, 10:38 PM
SW Georgia is a nice place to live...

hortonhunter22
01-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Lets not forget Thomas....

too much of the county is private plantation where them boys are killing the big ones, they aint worried bout putting there name in any books. same goes for alot of brooks, as well as much of southwest ga, the real big boys are shot by folks on the plantations and they keep it hush so they dont have trespassing problems

timgarside
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Taylor county was a misprint. I would stay away from there if I were you.:biggrin2: I would add Meriweather to the list though. The folks there shouldn't mind since theres a 100 year waiting list to lease property there.

grouper throat
01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
too much of the county is private plantation where them boys are killing the big ones, they aint worried bout putting there name in any books. same goes for alot of brooks, as well as much of southwest ga, the real big boys are shot by folks on the plantations and they keep it hush so they dont have trespassing problems I agree. After hunting and visiting their plantation cabins, they grow some nice ones there. My buddy has a 138 and 149 on the wall from Thomas... but not many ppl off the plantation know about it. They trade them grouper trips for deer hunts :D

hortonhunter22
01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree. After hunting and visiting their plantation cabins, they grow some nice ones there. My buddy has a 138 and 149 on the wall from Thomas... but not many ppl off the plantation know about it. They trade them grouper trips for deer hunts :D

yup theres alot of deer in the 160s that live on walls in south ga that you never hear about...ive seen my share of them, on there walls that is :hammers:

Defcon15
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
We never see Calhoun listed on any of the GON big buck state-wide lists; but I know there's some good'uns killed there every year.

I think Calhoun is pretty much a shoot-and-keep-your-mouth-shut county.

Yep, everyone keeps it pretty quiet there. No one cares about putting their name in books or magazines.

golffreak
01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
The good thing about Calhoun County, in my opinion, is you don't hear a lot of shooting. Even on opening day your not hearing shots every two minutes. A lot of bucks getting a chance to grow. It's been several years since I hunted there, but the hunting was great.

welch3690
01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
brooks is another county that has big deer. Every year we kill a deer that scores 140 or better off our farm in brooks county

earlyspur
01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
All of the counties in SW Ga are shoot and keep your mouth closed counties. If you talk, they will come. Used to only be a problem with Florida boys buying up leases and killing everything.:shoot::shoot::shoot: This year I know of some locals though that caught wind of a 150 plus in early county still alive and in turn close to 30 deer were killed at night. Thankfully the 1 game warden that our DNR was hesitant to give us took care of this issue I hope. So when a 130 or bigger is killed you never hear about it.

UYD4L
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
SW GA is over hunted and overrated. Nothing to see here folks.

golffreak
01-15-2011, 12:06 PM
All of the counties in SW Ga are shoot and keep your mouth closed counties. If you talk, they will come. Used to only be a problem with Florida boys buying up leases and killing everything.:shoot::shoot::shoot: This year I know of some locals though that caught wind of a 150 plus in early county still on alive and in turn close to 30 deer were killed at night. Thankfully the 1 game warden that our DNR was hesitant to give us took care of this issue I hope. So when a 130 or bigger is killed you never hear about it.

SW Georgia is severly short on game wardens. I thought we were short handed in SE Alabama, but SW Georgia might as well not have any.

florida boy
01-15-2011, 01:19 PM
All of the counties in SW Ga are shoot and keep your mouth closed counties. If you talk, they will come. Used to only be a problem with Florida boys buying up leases and killing everything.:shoot::shoot::shoot: This year I know of some locals though that caught wind of a 150 plus in early county still on alive and in turn close to 30 deer were killed at night. Thankfully the 1 game warden that our DNR was hesitant to give us took care of this issue I hope. So when a 130 or bigger is killed you never hear about it.

You can have some of our GW's . We have nine in our county alone !

stick-n-string
01-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Good luck trying to find land in lee, dougherty, or worth county! Heck all of sw Ga. Dag gum fl boys come and offer the land owner twice as much for the lease as you are paying and leaseing all the land! Then most have a if its brown its down mentality.

hortonhunter22
01-15-2011, 07:15 PM

yea if georgia took floridas mentality of hiring more to right more tickets, instead of lay them off and hope for the best we would be alright :stir:

BONE HEAD
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
too much of the county is private plantation where them boys are killing the big ones, they aint worried bout putting there name in any books. same goes for alot of brooks, as well as much of southwest ga, the real big boys are shot by folks on the plantations and they keep it hush so they dont have trespassing problems

Now thats enough of that ....quiet please!

golffreak
01-17-2011, 07:53 PM

If you hunt where I think you do, Lake Eufaula and the river have a lot to do with that.

lmschroederga
01-18-2011, 01:42 AM

same with Baker. Baker county has some huge bucks that no one reports:banana:

turkeyeyes
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
great job!!!

Son
01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
If ya'll had seen what I've seen in Seminole Co in the last few years, you would add it to the list. I know of two of em that's still running around for sure, saw both of em this past week. Just proves, the genetics are here. I know of one Booner that was killed in this county in recent years. Can't tell much cause most are being silent about their good'uns.

DAVE
01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
The big buck counties in Georgia are the ones that also have black panthers.

Lane Morrell
01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
ssshhhhhhhhh dont tell anybody about the 150 class my son killed in stewart co at Hannahatchhe WMA..you know ...the one the made the GON triple digits Bucks list in 2007 and was feature in the GON Mag....ssshhhhh dont tell now ya hear..oh oh..dont tell anyone about the two I killed there either..not as big but Im proud of them...9 point in 2002 and the eight point in 2004...promise ya wont tell now... we keeping Stewart Co a secrete:D

Thats some good'uns right there!

smoothie
01-20-2011, 02:30 AM
sw georgia is a nice place to live...

amen!

buckeroo
01-21-2011, 10:20 PM
You can throw Early County in there as well. There are a lot of trophy bucks killed in Early County every year without fail.

LOVE Early County!

Ace1313
01-22-2011, 11:45 PM
LOVE Early County!

I have been in a lease down there for two years and cannot wait until I get to go back down. I hunt with a great group of guys that have family down there and man the hunting is awesome. So much better than the Piedmont with the number of deer and hunters(not many per acre) if I could sell my place in the piedmont this year I may relocate full time down there. Check out our coop website and see if it is something your interested in their are about 20,000 acres are joined into this program . www.springcreekcoop.com

SC Hunter
01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
I know of a few places in Brooks County that are private land NOT plantations that have alot of big deer. I know of one deer that scored in the high 180s from brooks and another one that scored in the 140s off the same piece of property! I know the family personally and have held both racks. Thomas and Brooks Counties hold big deer. Sumter Schley Taylor Lee Crisp Dougherty Terrel Counties all have big deer in the right areas.

albridges
01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
That's the list ,minus crisp!

:crazy:What Did Crisp County do to you:crazy:

Plenty of big deer around here.