River Kayak

Wpart

Guys.....I'm looking to purchase a Kayak to use on the Hooch and other Ga Rivers...What opinions are out there?
THANKS!

fishndoc

Lots of options, but you probably want to start by doing a search for "Jackson Coosa".

yaknfish

Opinion on length?
12 or 13 feet.
You're in Cumming?
The Outside World in Dawsonville.

deerhunter09

I use my kayak for rivers primarily, and my advice is to get a shorter kayak (10 to 12 ft) if you're going to be running through shoals. A longer boat is harder to turn quickly, and can lead to problems like turning over.
A Jackson Coosa is probably your best bet, it was designed for use in rivers.

Randy

You should come see us at the boat show this weekend. The Outside World will have a booth there. Drew will be there with Jackson Coosa and I will be there with some Ocean Kayaks and they will also have some Native Boats there. You can get a lot of information is a short time. It would easily be worth the entry costs.

Randy

I use my kayak for rivers primarily, and my advice is to get a shorter kayak (10 to 12 ft) if you're going to be running through shoals. A longer boat is harder to turn quickly, and can lead to problems like turning over.
A Jackson Coosa is probably your best bet, it was designed for use in rivers.
I would choose 12-13. Shorter boats have less deck space and don't perform as well is you decide to fish in places other than rivers. Turning more a function of hull design than length though is you get over 13 it starts to become harder to get in tight places in the shoals.

yaknfish

I have a 13 foot kayak and a 8 footer. The 8 footer is great in little ponds, especially when I'm alone. Fishing with other people? Your kayak oughta be at least as fast as theirs, or you'll be paddling like mad. In a river, a longer, faster kayak will allow you to paddle upstream easily. A shorter one may be float down only.

crackerdave

I've got a 12 foot sit-on-top.I can turn and paddle very well - upstream or down. However,"fast" does not apply to me.I like to take my time and fish hard,not paddle hard.

I think if you go have a look at the Boat Show,as Randy said,you'll at least come away with a good idea of what you want.They may not be in your price range,though.

I would definitely recommend a sit-on-top,though - whatever brand you get.

Wpart

The advice is greatly appriciated!!! I hope to join you all soon on the water. My NRS raft is getting to be too much work and I'm only able to fish downstream. No going upstream in this schoolbus!!

I'm leaning toward a Native Ultimate 14.5. I visited Outside World and that appears to be a comfy ride!!

biker13

Up the River Outfitters sell their used ones each year .They are right across the river on 20 Gwinnet side.Save you some bucks if you don't like kayaking

yaknfish

Look around. talk to people. Consider if you want the boat to be self bailing or not. Also consider how you will be transporting it. Getting a heavy 'yak onto the top of a SUV or van can be a grunt. No kayak is perfect for everything, but you can get close if you are honest about your needs/desires first. For the way I use mine, the 12-13 foot SOT works great. I would even offer the opinion that it's the most versatile and the farther you get away from that, the more specialized you get.

fishndoc

I have a 13 foot kayak and a 8 footer. The 8 footer is great in little ponds, especially when I'm alone. Fishing with other people? Your kayak oughta be at least as fast as theirs, or you'll be paddling like mad. In a river, a longer, faster kayak will allow you to paddle upstream easily. A shorter one may be float down only.
Yaknfish brings up a very good point - if you are switching from a pontoon to a kayak so you can paddle up & float down, & don't have to worry about a second vehicle or finding a shuttle (like me), then a boat that paddles fast and easy is just as important as stability.

I considered some of the shorter & wider yaks, but ended up going with a OK Trident 13 because it seemed to be the best compromise between speed, ease of paddling, stability and maneuverability. Since then, the Coosa has come out, and it is certainly very stable and maneuverable, and I'm told it paddles well also.

Also, the point about transport is a good one. I can slide mine in the back of my pickup bed, supported by a Harbor Freight bed extender ($30), and go anywhere and just back up to the bank and drop her in. No assistance needed. If you gotta lift one on top of your car, etc, then weight and size would be a big consideration.

Randy

The advice is greatly appriciated!!! I hope to join you all soon on the water. My NRS raft is getting to be too much work and I'm only able to fish downstream. No going upstream in this schoolbus!!

I'm leaning toward a Native Ultimate 14.5. I visited Outside World and that appears to be a comfy ride!!

You're looking at an Ulimate for the river? The ultimate is a great calm shallow water boat but there are better boats for a river. Especially the 14.5 length.

MTMiller

There is an awesome deal on an ultimate here:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/2159208284.html

A boat like this usually sells for $650-$750 used and they are asking $375 for it.

It is not mine and I don't know who is selling it. Just passing on an unheard of deal on a great boat. They make an accessory (link below) to use it on the river that covers the front so it won't take on water.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1068/Native-Ultimate-12-Bow-Sprayskirt.html

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1067/Native-Ultimate-Stern-Sprayskirt-Ultimate-12-or-145.html

I would not have a 14' kayak for the river. Too hard to turn it in rapids. 12' is great for the river. I own a 12' and 14' kayak and prefer the 12' on the hooch.

Last edited:

7 point

I think it A great deal on A good boat Id go check it out if I was you wpart

MTMiller

I'm pretty sure Basser Drew (a.k.a. Drew Gregory), a well know river kayak fisherman, highly regarded the Native Ultimate before he started developing/endorsing kayaks for Jackson Kayak. I know I have seen videos of him fishing out of the Ultimate (on rivers). Of course that guy could stand up on a 2"x8" board and make it look stable :) with his amazing talent.

Randy

Here is a friend of mine with his Ultimate on the river. He no longer has this boat. As I said it is a great calm water boat but get tricky in shoals.
005-3.jpg

7 point

thats not the same boat on C list for sale is it?