WMA special Hog hunts

rmac41

I just noticed there`s several week long hog hunts on some wma`s and my interest is peeked, especialy since you can use center fire rifles. Any advice for a first time hog hunter would be greatly appreiciated. I`m 52 have hunted deer most of my life, never seen a hog in the woods though. Mostly hunted Green , hancock, & putnam counties.
I`d love to put a pig in the freezer with my venison !

ps: I seen the show "pig bomb" on the disc. channel, was pretty kool.

stick-n-string

Do your research on wma's with good hog population. Once you decided on a wma you will want to find a creek bottom. I prefer one with plenty of palmettos. Figure out the wind then stay downwind as you ease through the creek bottom. You can move fairly quickly until you find fresh sign. Then walk slower and watch closly and listen.
Isn't rocket science but does take practice.
Good luck!

Look in this month gon. Good article about Robert Carter hunting hogs with a longbow. He is an amazing man when it comes to spot and stalk on hogs!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Do your research on wma's with good hog population. Once you decided on a wma you will want to find a creek bottom. I prefer one with plenty of palmettos. Figure out the wind then stay downwind as you ease through the creek bottom. You can move fairly quickly until you find fresh sign. Then walk slower and watch closly and listen.
Isn't rocket science but does take practice.
Good luck!

Look in this month gon. Good article about Robert Carter hunting hogs with a longbow. He is an amazing man when it comes to spot and stalk on hogs!

X2! It is a really good read!

snook24

Dont listen to stick and string he cant kill hogs haha JK Jonathan but the wind thing is the biggest factor. Good luck

wildman0517

For sure hogs are really loud when they eat, you will hear them before they hear you, but there nose is sharper than a deers. Gl

rmac41

thanks for the quick replys

this is a great forum, thanks guys.
i`m thinking maybe Flint River or Hannahatchee, just because they are the closest , maybe chickasawhatchee.
I read the story in Gon several times, those guys are awsome.

stick-n-string

chickasawhatchee has been real slow, you can still get on a few but its tough right now

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
this is a great forum, thanks guys.
i`m thinking maybe Flint River or Hannahatchee, just because they are the closest , maybe chickasawhatchee.
I read the story in Gon several times, those guys are awsome.

Whatever you do.........JUST GO! Get into the woods and into the wind! Have a great time and good luck!:cheers:

retiredkilla

hogs go nactural this time of the year, very hard to hunt right now, i will wait till the green up and hogs will move more in the daylight... go right now and learn the wma you want to hunt, roads and creek bottoms, walk and walk some more.. look for sign, rooting, mud on trees, summer wallows, heavy trails and tracks.. learn the difference between pig and deer tracks.. good luck