Anyone else ready for Turkey season

HuntinMan

I am ready to go turkey hunting already. I am glad it is only a quarter year now till turkey season. I love to turkey hunt!!!!!!!! I wish I could find a place close to Coweta, Heard, or Carroll county Then that would be even better, more time in woods close to home, hehehe :fine:

Arrow3

Does a catfish have whiskers???

Id rather turkey hunt then eat.....

Timbo

I use deer season to scout for roosting areas and where they are feeding.When I look for scrapes and rubs I also look at feeding areas for turkey.

Al33

I AM !!!!!!!!!!

However, I would like to warn any and all others who are considering taking up the sport of hunting wild turkies of the many dangers. ;)

#1 - Snakes - Copperheads and others will be coming out of their winter holes and you could easilly sit on one in a hurried attempt to set up on a tom.

#2 - West Nile virus - The skeeters will be mighty hungry after a long fast.

#3 - Divorce - Mostly applies to those who deer hunt already and find another passion to consume their quality family time. Most wives simply will not understand. ::huh:

#4 - If you like to fish in the Springtime when everything is biting, you will be torn between the woods and the waters. It is very difficult to work a box call and bait a hook at the same time. Trust me, I've tried it. :D

#5 - Dollars - Make sure you have enough in savings to support another passion like this one will likely become. There will always be something else you need to buy to bag the next tom.

There you go, just a few things to consider if you have never tried it. ;) :D I strongly recommend the game of golf for your Springtime pleasures. :bounce:

Oh yeah, one more thing, look what it did to Jody Hawk. :eek:

Al

Junebug

I'm about to lose it!!

I routinely break out a box call, scratch a few notes, then put it back in my vest. I've been conditioning a couple of new strikers. I picked up a copy Turkey & Turkey Hunting the other day.

C'mon March!!

Gadget

Getting there! I need to take the BPS to the Gun Doc so he can fix er up right.

Goose

Al33, I agree, except

#3 - the divorce thing - she shouldn't have to worry too much; once hunters are converted to chasing birds instead of bucks, they usually spend their fall and winters at home adding up brownie points to justify being gone all spring

and

#4 - the money thing - sell all your deer stuff - you won't need it anymore once you realize the monotony of sitting in a cold deer stand waiting for a deer to aimlessly meander by as opposed to pursuing a creature as challenging as meleagris galapavo, who will teach you to become a better woodsman, listener, observer, stealth-mode woods traveler, and an exploiter of the ageless spring ritual of turkey courtship

gobble, gobble, gobble

Goose
:) :p ;) :D

GobblingDawg

Good Lord, Goose. That's what I call "nail meeting head". I won't even try to put it better than you did because I can't. You said it all.

I hope I wasn't too bad of an influence on you several years back when I insisted that you start going with me to experience the "high". How 'bout when I wing-boned that group of jakes across that field on the Redlands when you killed that first turkey?

There is no such thing as a "bad turkey hunt".

:yeah: :cool: :fine:

Ain't nothing better!!

Go Dawgs and come on March,
GobblingDawg

:whip: :shoot: :whip:

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I don't even want to hear the word "turkey" after the amount of bird I stuffed down my throat over Thanksgiving! ;) :D

Seriously, though, I plan to give the old turkey hunting thing a try this spring. Actually, I say that every year about this time. :eek: I have all good intentions going into the spring every year, but by the time March rolls around, my life is consumed by baseball! ::huh:

cpaboy

I didn't know GA had a turkey season. ::huh: I think Goose and Gobbling Dawg are sick , deranged characters. I'm glad I don't know them and I'm glad I've never been turkey hunting with either one of them. :bounce:

Come on September!!!!!!!

QuakerBoy

At this point I'm ready to hunt just bout anythign :whip:

Should be ready to go by spring :clap:

hawglips

Banned
I've been pouring over WMA maps and aerial photos as well as putting in for tags out of state. Been scouting my favorite lairs near home and going through my mouth calls one by one to arrange them by tone, etc. Been trying out my new aluminum friction call and stocking up on Permanone.

I'm getting there...