Finally getting back on the river!

GeorgiaPineHunter

Gettin' back to the 'hooch today. I haven't been in quite some time. I'll post up some pictures of my monster trout afterwards!:cheers:

I'll be out by Roger's Bridge. Swimmin' in the summer and fishing every other time!

Swamp Angel

Hope to see ya out there. I'm putting in at Abbott's Bridge in about 45 minutes. Leave a trout or two for me!

GeorgiaPineHunter

Hope you did better than me SA. Ended up catching one, about 4 inches of pure Rainbow bliss. He may grow up to be a big one in a few years.

Swamp Angel, you didn't happen to be running in an aluminum boat did you? I may have seen you heading down river.

Swamp Angel

I think I may need to switch over to an aluminum boat. I run in a 15'-4" Gheenoe high-sider, camouflaged paint scheme. It's easier to pick me out in the summer when I have my wife, Meaux in the boat. She's fabricated a blue canopy that covers the front half of it so she's shaded and protected from any rainshowers that may pop up, while I'm stuck at the helm in the rear condemned to sunburn or a drenching, depending on the weather.

I had started out toward Abbott's Bridge to put in, but then realized that I hadn't charged the battery for my trolling motor. I truly hate to paddle unless an emergency calls for it, so I took the fly rod up to Buford Dam to piddle around and practice my casting for a while. I got one little fella on the spinnin' rig again, but didn't do so well with the fly rod. Should have used dry flies since they were rising nicely to take #16 and #18 black midges with some regularity after 3:30 this afternoon. All I had with me was a few streamers and a couple nymphs.

Met a couple fellas up at the dam. One from Maine whose name I didn't get, and the other, Bill, who was from the area. Friendly folks who were kind enough to let me observe and learn a bit more about casting from them.

Do you get out around Rogers Bridge often? I'm usually running the 'Hooch between Shakerag and Medlock Bridge every chance I get between early March and whenever cold weather really settles in sometime around November or December. That means I'm out at least once every week throughout that months-long time frame.

I'm hoping to get a good bit a fishing done this spring before the "yellow-tuber" hatch between Rogers Bridge and Abbotts Bridge becomes a daily occurrence.

If you spot me heading up river solo sometime, give a holler and hitch a ride up to Shakerag rock with me. The trout generally oblige me and hook themselves to my line most every time I make it up that way.

Below is a photo of the 'Hoochee Queen and my wife, "Meaux" at the trolling motor pilot station. We're pretty easy to spot in the summer, and not too hard to pick out without the canopy if you'll look for the rear seat to be mounted on a post to see over the passenger seat up front.

AMBA0013_a.jpg

Lookin' forward to seein' ya on the river. (Yeah, I know. . . I talk too darn much.)

-Tight lines!

GeorgiaPineHunter

I'd be more than willing to go fishin' with you if I ever see you. Come spring time I'll be running in my canoe with my dad and some of my friends. We've all got either a kayak or canoe so we're out there 3-4 times a week. I know the river pretty well in between Buford Dam and Roger's. Maybe with our knowledge combined we could catch that big ol' 14 pound brown!