Presentation or Imitation??

Oak-flat Hunter

Alright You fly fishers.I want too know your take on this subject. Which is more important..Presentation or Imitation ??

Buck E.

It depends on the day and the species. Sometimes its all about getting a good drift and fish the seams correctly, other days its more important to have your fly match the hatch to the "T".

As you fish enough, and for a variety of species you will begin to find that it will vary from day to day and from water body to water body.

Georgia Hard Hunter

correct presentation is always more important. although there is always the one stupid trout that will hit a fly as you are dragging it in but those are the exception not the rule

Buck E.

As I recall he did not say trout fishing, so you have to keep it open to all fishing in general. I have seen many a day where presentation didn't mean squat. get something in the water they are after( right size and or color) and they jump all over it.

Remember fellows, there is whole lot of other fish to catch in moving water than just trout.

They are both very important to be a great fisherman. The key is knowing when one is more important than the other.

centerpin fan

Imitation is important, just not as important as presentation, IMO. And I rarely fish for trout.

fishinbub

Keep this in mind, the wrong fly presented in the right way is a much better "imitation" than the right fly presented the wrong way. You can't have a true imitation without proper presentation. That's why I feel presentation is much more important.

Oak-flat Hunter

It shouldn't have no impact if it's the wrong fly. Because if it's the wrong fly it won't work regardless. Hummmuh!

fishinbub

It shouldn't have no impact if it's the wrong fly. Because if it's the wrong fly it won't work regardless. Hummmuh!

By "wrong fly" I mean a fly that is not a perfect (or even moderate) imitation of the bugs in the water. IE a stonefly imitation in a caddis hatch.

Don't tell the purists, but you can catch trout on a bream bug if they are active enough. There is no "wrong fly". They all catch fish if presented properly.

Buck E.

Don't be so sure on that fb. Ihave seen many a time when fish are feeding on 1 1/2" size baitfish of a certain variety(color). if your fly was not the right size and color the would not touch it. You have to remember that there are some fish that feed as opportunistic feeders and others feed as predators. Predators key in on a food source sometimes and won't touch anything else.

Also, if a particular bait is abuntant, sometimes it makes them key in on it. Other times, going against the grain and throwing something different can trigger a take.

Don't be so focused on one style of fishing, be opened minded , try different things and you will be amazed at how many more fish you will catch.

fishinbub

Don't be so sure on that fb. Ihave seen many a time when fish are feeding on 1 1/2" size baitfish of a certain variety(color). if your fly was not the right size and color the would not touch it. You have to remember that there are some fish that feed as opportunistic feeders and others feed as predators. Predators key in on a food source sometimes and won't touch anything else.

Also, if a particular bait is abuntant, sometimes it makes them key in on it. Other times, going against the grain and throwing something different can trigger a take.

Don't be so focused on one style of fishing, be opened minded , try different things and you will be amazed at how many more fish you will catch.

You're right, fish will key in one colors and sizes. That being said, correct size/color does not make it an imitation. A #16 Adams is the correct color and shape to represent a whole heck of a lot of bugs, but it's not an imitation of any one in particular.

Georgia Hard Hunter

flys are not exact imitations of bugs, it like impressionistic art usually its about shape and color but its just a suggestion of a bug. Then there is the whole issue of flash and color like a "Clown Egg" or bubblegum pink San Juan Worm

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Both deer and fish,I only bring the dumb ones to hand!:D

fishinbub

neither is a clouser minnow.

Right. The clouser and adams probably account for more fish than any two fly patterns out there. They are not tied as imitations. They are suggestive patterns, and when presented properly can be any number of food items. There are much better "imitations" out there, but the adams and clouser continue to outproduce them all.

yaknfish

And the Wooly Bugger. I figure fish aren't really that smart. On the other hand, they didn't live this long eating anything that floats by. There're some characteristics of food that looks like food. Triggers. The best flies/lures have those triggers. It's up to us to guess what they are.

And then toss it just right, into just the right place.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Presentations probably matter more. Fishing for the spooky carp will make you present the fly in the right way or the carp will be gone. Very spooky fish at times.

Latest posts