Out of this world?

vowell462

First off, let me say that I really enjoy this forum and like to hear from all sides, believers and non. I consider myself to be an " I dont know" kind of person but im constantly doing research on religions and believes to help educate myself.
A few years back I read the book " Chariots of the Gods" by Eric Van Daniken. The book full of questions has really put a question mark over my head as to have we been visited by others in the past. Since I read it, the show Ancient Aliens Is on every week and really resonates with my mind as making perfect sense.
So my question to all is do you think it is possible that we have been visited by extraterrestrials in the past and if so why? If you dont, why not?

vowell462

we may have already done this one. If so, I apologize.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Honestly... I wish I had never read that book... it conflicts with alot of issues I was comfortably indoctrinated into and has cause me great deal of unease over the years. As far as have we been visited? I ain't got a clue, but it is a compelling question when taken in context with the material within that dreadful book...

ted_BSR

I think saguaro cactuses are hibernating space aliens.

Really though, I have no clue, but it is possible.

I think it would be very arrogant for us to believe that we were the only "people" in the universe or universes as the case may be. Did you see the movie The Fourth Kind? Creepy!

pnome

I think it's highly improbable that we have ever been visited by aliens.

vowell462

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Really? I think some of the evidence and theories are supported by extraordinary evidence. Not saying any of it is fact, but some of the evidence to support the idea is kinda overwhelming to me.

pnome

Really? I think some of the evidence and theories are supported by extraordinary evidence. Not saying any of it is fact, but some of the evidence to support the idea is kinda overwhelming to me.

I haven't read the book. Could you elaborate on this evidence?

vowell462

I haven't read the book. Could you elaborate on this evidence?

Its all theory, of course none is proven. The evidence just supports the theory.

Places like Puma Punku in Bolivia. A huge stone structure that was supposedly built by humans that were known as hunters and gatherers at the time. Engineers today say they would have a hard time building it. The cuts in the stone are so precise even modern machinery would have a hard time doing it, if it could at all.

The Great Pyramids of Geza. We have been taught that they were built in 22 years by thousands of Egyptians. Modern science has formulated that if that were true, there would have to be one stone (which is several thousand pounds) to be installed every 11 seconds. The hieroglyphics inside the tombs of the pyramids suggest strange biengs and large men. Also, the pyramids are so airtight you cant hold a flame in them, which begs the question of how did they see to work inside or see to scribe hieroglyphics.

Just diifferent ideas of how things come to be what they are now. Most religions usually have people or some biengs that have the ability to fly and come from the skies. Why is that?

Pretty interesting stuuf if you look into it. Eric Van Daniken was the first to propose this in his book Chariots of the Gods. Several others have since wrote plenty more. The show on The History Channel "Ancient Aliens" is pretty fascinating to watch. You have to study up on it with an open mind. If you are religious, I wouldnt recommend looking into it. It kinda goes against most indoctrination, but it makes alot of sense to me.

Last edited:

blondiega1

If we're the only ones in the universe, it would be an awful waste of space.

stringmusic

If we're the only ones in the universe, it would be an awful waste of space.

This statement assumes purpose, do you think that humanity has a purpose for being here?

pnome

Places like Puma Punku in Bolivia. A huge stone structure that was supposedly built by humans that were known as hunters and gatherers at the time. Engineers today say they would have a hard time building it. The cuts in the stone are so precise even modern machinery would have a hard time doing it, if it could at all.

This is not evidence of aliens. This is simply an unanswered question. Who built Puma Punku and how did they do it? The answer is we don't really know. It's not, Aliens from another world. You have no direct evidence of them.

To posit this as evidence of aliens visiting Earth is to make a logical fallacy called an "argument from ignorance." Or an argument from personal incredulity: "I can't imagine how humans could have done this so many years ago, so it must have been aliens."

The Great Pyramids of Geza. We have been taught that they were built in 22 years by thousands of Egyptians. Modern science has formulated that if that were true, there would have to be one stone (which is several thousand pounds) to be installed every 11 seconds. The hieroglyphics inside the tombs of the pyramids suggest strange biengs and large men. Also, the pyramids are so airtight you cant hold a flame in them, which begs the question of how did they see to work inside or see to scribe hieroglyphics.

Same sort of argument.

Just diifferent ideas of how things come to be what they are now. Most religions usually have people or some biengs that have the ability to fly and come from the skies. Why is that?

Because humans are stuck on the ground.

You have to study up on it with an open mind. If you are religious, I wouldnt recommend looking into it. It kinda goes against most indoctrination, but it makes alot of sense to me.

I assure you, I am not religious. I'm just a pretty skeptical kind of person.

vowell462

Again, its all THEORY. In no way in my post did I say there is factual evidence. All Im saying is it makes me think its possible. I cant discredit it because its possible. I cant discredit anything because anything is possible. It just makes a little more sense to me than most religions.

Im pretty skeptical as well.

what does survival of the fittest have to do with a purpose of being here?

Human or any living organism purpose for being here on this earth is to ensure the survival of the specie. Apparently the species that did not survive were extinct and therefore they were not the fittest.

vowell462

Human or any living organism purpose for being here on this earth is to ensure the survival of the specie. Apparently the species that did not survive were extinct and therefore they were not the fittest.

I understand this completly. However, I don't think Stringmusics question was directed at an explanation of the species purpose after its here. I think he is trying to come in and say every living organism has a purpose through god. The question really is, why is there any species to begin with.