Fryin' a Turkey!!!

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
We ran this little bit of advice last year but thought it might need re-enforcing!

Y'all that are frying those turkeys, please, please, please be certain, certain, certain, that the bird is completely, completely, completely thawed!

Otherwise, you will burn up something near and dear to you!

It is a great way to cook a bird but it will blow up on you in a BIG hurry if that bird is not thawed.

It is also a great idea to put your oil in the pot and submerge your bird without the fire just to be certain that the oil does not overflow.

Then start your fire!

Arrow Flinger

Another tip is to put the bird in the pot and fill with water. Take out the bird and mark the water level. Dry the pot and pat dry bird inside and out. Pour the oil in to the marked level. Heat to 350 degrees and SLOWLY lower the bird into the oil. Cook 3 1/2 minutes per pound at 350 degrees. Keep the young'uns away from the pot also since you will have a little splatter. Do not walk off and leave it and keep an eye on the temperature You will have the best yard bird you ever had.

QuakerBoy

Just repeating what flinger said. Make sure the bird is dry inside and out.

Also take out the little plastic thing in the back of the bird before you fry.

Mauiboy

Deep Fry Turkey....

Just wanted to give my input on deep frying turkey. YES, defrost that bird..very important..Safety! also, Arrow Flinger's right, use water to measure your oil level and make sure the bird is dry before cooking, you know what happens when water meets hot oil.
Always lower your bird into HOT oil and do it s-l-o-w-l-y, or you'll fry your feet. :speechles
Most deep frying kits come with a craddle or you can rig one up with 2 hangers to lower your turkey.
Peanut oil is widely used because of its high smoking point (450 + deg) and flavor. Some of you or your kin might be allergic to peanuts or peanut products so any oil with a high smoking point can be used such as corn oil, safflower oil, even canola oil. Don't forget your seasonings, I prefer injections and rubs.
Like Arrow Flinger says 350 degrees is where you want to be, keep your oil between 325-365 degrees, just to add some general rules to his, Turkeys 12lbs or less 2-1/2 minutes per pound, 12lbs and up 3-1/2 minutes per pound, if your turkey is floating it's over cooked :eek:
One last tip, I normally wrap the turkey in foil and let it rest for about 30 min before I start carving, this allows the juices to circulate back through the bird.
Be safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Allan

specialk

another safety tip is to use a gas burner that is sturdy and is as close to the ground as possible(less likely to tip over) also keep children away from pot while cooking

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
What about some recipes for marinades? We have always used Texas Pete, but I heard someone was using garlic and someone else was using grape jelly. How 'bout it?

Robert

frankwright

I use Cajun Injector Creole Butter and inject 1/2 jar into the turkey which has been oiled inside and out with olive oil. I then coat heavily,inside and out with Tony Catchetores(spelling?) or any other cajon seasoning. Let rest overnight in the fridge and then fry.

Scouter

One more caution

When cooking my turkey, I have done what has beend recommended. Put the turkey in the pot and fill with water, mark your pot and then clean the pot and turkey of water.

What has been my experience is when using peanut oil, it seems to expand or something. after slowwwwww-ly lowering the turkey in the boiling oil, the oil level is higher that it was when cold. So when lowering, make sure the hot oil does not spill over!

Have a happy Thanksgiving and give thanks to our Lord Jesus Christ. ::;