PDA

View Full Version : Any one east of Atlanta?

Longstreet1
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Seeing if any one is on my side of town that would want to hit some rivers this spring.

trad bow
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm in Eatonton. Fish several rivers around here along with some small lakes. Just bought a Coosa so hoping it will be easier to fish out of than the canoe I've used for the past 15 years. Have a couple small rivers that I target redeyes and redbreast in. Summer is best in them though.

Longstreet1
02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
I would like to get a Coosa, just bought a Mad river passage, wife says I need to use that first LOL

Biggin13
02-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Shoot yea. I'm in Milledgeville and have been looking for folks to go with. Let me know when and where and I'll try to be there.

Wishin I was Fishin
02-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm northeast of ATL. On the hunt for a plastic battleship right now and hoping to get one in time for some spring fishing, if not then I should have one by early summer. I'll let you know when I get outfitted and we'll go sometime! Always up for a fishing trip.

RobG4
02-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Athens here. Just bought a yak and looking for some river fishing.

Johnbob_3
03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm in Athens and have a Grumman 17' Eagle and am looking for some river fishing to do with my son. Hints and advice are welcome as I have never tried it here.

Longstreet1
03-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm in Athens and have a Grumman 17' Eagle and am looking for some river fishing to do with my son. Hints and advice are welcome as I have never tried it here.

I was planeing on being out your way today but it was raining. Appalachee has some great fish in it. If you want to go one weekend let me know.

egomaniac247
03-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm in Conyers, just moved over from Social Circle and before that, down from Richmond, Va in July.

I fish out of both my kayak & jon boat (electric only). So far I've only managed 3 Ga bass and 1 bluegill since then! I know the Ga fishing is better than this, I just haven't figured it out yet. I've tried Varner, Hard Labor, and Charlie Elliott.

Ever kayak the Yellow River?

Longstreet1
03-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm in Conyers, just moved over from Social Circle and before that, down from Richmond, Va in July.

I fish out of both my kayak & jon boat (electric only). So far I've only managed 3 Ga bass and 1 bluegill since then! I know the Ga fishing is better than this, I just haven't figured it out yet. I've tried Varner, Hard Labor, and Charlie Elliott.

Ever kayak the Yellow River?

Yep many times I have never been in around Conyers mostly up in Gwinnette, hit me up and we can go sometime

Phil4whl
03-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Im in conyers too,, live right next to the yellow. Prob gonna try my new sot in the yellow this Sun IF the water level goes down and clears up a bit..

willyredeemed
03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
how is the yellow for bassin? i live in stone mountain and have been wanting to float the yellow for some time!

Phil4whl
03-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Yellow for bassin? Depends on the area. Id say its slow to fair, from north of the porterdale dam, and good south of the dam. Ive just never caught anything of good size above the dams,but thats just me :)

GottaGetOutdoors
03-25-2011, 10:22 PM
In the Athens area. Just ordered a new Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 Angler. Plan to work over the Oconee and other area streams!

rayjay
03-31-2011, 08:55 AM
I used to live in Snellville/Centerville and floated the Yellow at least a couple of times a month back in the 90's but I never fished it. I did see people bank fishing occasionally and they would be catching fish.

Our northernmost starting point was River Rd in the Connemara Subdivision and our southernmost ending point was the subdivision that contains lakes Capri and Sorrento. I do have some vague memories of taking out right at Ga 20 one time. Back then there was a lot of deadfall across the river when you get below Pleasant Hill Rd.

We could do a 7+ hour trip and never be more than 30 mins from the house :) My favorite trip was from 78 to Annistown Rd.

willyredeemed
03-31-2011, 09:12 AM
My favorite trip was from 78 to Annistown Rd.

that's the stretch that i'd be interested in fishing. looks like there are class 3 rapids in that section, too. i'll have to chk it out one day and see how the fishing is once the river clears.

rayjay
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
There are no real rapids as long as you don't go after a big rainstorm. Just north of Annistown there is a section of 1 to 2 foot drops that is a lot of fun. You can do the 'rapid's, hop out and drag the yak back upstream and then do the rapids again. The water temp is very nice from May onwards.

There is one dangerous looking hole immediately north of the Annistown bridge but I never got the nerve to negotiate it.

The best sections of river start at Five Forks Trickum and end at Rockbridge or Pleasant Hill.

Remember that I haven't been on the river since probably 98 or 99. Back then the section I described above was kept cleared of deadfalls. I don't know if this is still true. The best way to learn the conditions would be to make short trips from road crossing to road crossing. Five Forks to 78, 78 to Annistown or to the bicycle park, Annistown to 124, etc.

The amazing thing is somedays you would not see another soul. You could hear people talking or cutting grass or whatever but you couldn't see them even though you were floating through their backyard.

JakeInAthens
04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm in Athens and fishing rivers is my first love since I grew up bass fishing the Satilla and Alapaha down in south Georgia. I just need to find a cheap Kayak that I can get into the water.

moorefish5
04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Seeing if any one is on my side of town that would want to hit some rivers this spring.

As soon as the rivers get fishable I will be hitting them hard. Let's go sometime.

Longstreet1
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
As soon as the rivers get fishable I will be hitting them hard. Let's go sometime.

Have you been in the Alcovy? I have been wondering about fishing in it. Just don't know how deep it is.

Wishin I was Fishin
04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Have you been in the Alcovy? I have been wondering about fishing in it. Just don't know how deep it is.

I would be up for this trip. Never fished it but I cross over it in its early stages here in Gwinnett almost daily. I know of a lake fed by it that has awesome fishing. No idea where to start or anything though. It's wide but very shallow where i've seen it.

Phil4whl
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday about making an alcovy float. We are probly going to go in around 212 and 81 and float to jackson lake :). Ill let yall know when we go.

Wishin I was Fishin
04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday about making an alcovy float. We are probly going to go in around 212 and 81 and float to jackson lake :). Ill let yall know when we go.

I think I read that there are some realllly nasty shoals above the lake on that river. Although that may have been the yellow river or something. I might look into that if you havent already. I could very well be wrong though so don't quote me on it. :D

Phil4whl
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
below the 81 bridge is BAD, its a no go but if you put in a couple 100 yards down off 212 just past it its should be smooth sailing from there....EDIT: south river not alcovy..oops

moorefish5
04-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Yes, I have fished the Alcovy several times. The Alcovy is deep enough to hold good fish depending on which stretch you choose. There are swampy sections that can make for a long float. You don't want to try to float through Factory Shoals which is just above Jackson Lake.

I would be up for this trip. Never fished it but I cross over it in its early stages here in Gwinnett almost daily. I know of a lake fed by it that has awesome fishing. No idea where to start or anything though. It's wide but very shallow where i've seen it.

Does it look like this?

http://moorefishadventures.com/images/CIMG0010.jpg

below the 81 bridge is BAD, its a no go but if you put in a couple 100 yards down off 212 just past it its should be smooth sailing from there.

I'm pretty sure that is the Yellow River and the intense shoals are just south of 81 in Porterdale.

Phil4whl
04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
My bad.. i was actually refering to the south river. I was way off.

moorefish5
04-06-2011, 02:57 PM
OK, now I know where you are talking about. Yep there are a nice set of shoals below 81 on the south too.

Wishin I was Fishin
04-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Yes, I have fished the Alcovy several times. The Alcovy is deep enough to hold good fish depending on which stretch you choose. There are swampy sections that can make for a long float. You don't want to try to float through Factory Shoals which is just above Jackson Lake.

Does it look like this?

http://moorefishadventures.com/images/CIMG0010.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is the Yellow River and the intense shoals are just south of 81 in Porterdale.

Similar in structure and all but I doubt that's it. The place I know of I got on because I went to school with the guy's grandson. He keeps the place on lockdown for family and very close friends only. And i'm not so sure you could float into it because the only "public" access I know of above it looks pretty shallow and would require a lot of dragging and walking I think.

On a side note i'd let you show me that place in person just to be double sure. ::ke: :D

And Factory Shoals is most definitely what I was thinking of.

Longstreet1
04-06-2011, 06:38 PM
When the waters at a good stage we should get a group and go.

Wishin I was Fishin
04-10-2011, 03:46 PM
When the waters at a good stage we should get a group and go.

I'm in. :cool:

Phil4whl
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
I'll probly be hittin the yellow this weekend on Sunday. On the North side of milstead. Depending on the weather ofcourse,if its flooded even the slightest ill probly be going to blackshoals instead. Figured id post up incase anyone wants to join.

Johnbob_3
05-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Is it getting that time yet?

Longstreet1
05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Lets get a weekend planed!!!

Wishin I was Fishin
05-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Like I said just let me know when and where. I can make it most anytime and i'm ready to get out there in the flowing water.