comfortable

leroy

In the dress code thread it seems when someone mentioned being comfortable in Church it was looked down on. Why do some think Church has to be some painful uncomfortable place and that it is a bad thing to feel good in Church. You go into some Churches and its like a bunch of prunes that look like they are so miserable to be there. I know sometimes the Holy Spirit is going to step on your toes but not every Sunday. Our Church has really grown over the past year and some of the reasons some give is our Pastor preaches the word as the infallible (sp) word but another reason given alot is how friendly our people are and our fellowship. I know some on here are against having any fellowships in the Church buildings and i think they are missing out on some true blessings.

PWalls

Not sure I am following. I am comfortable in my clothes regardless of what I wear or I don't wear (although there is one dress shirt that is tight in the neck). I buy and wear clothes that fit. My comfort level at church has nothing to do with what I am wearing.

Now, you let that air conditioning go out and that's another story.

If someone looks like a prune or looks miserable to be there, it ain't because of their dress. It is because of their attitude or what they are or are not bringing with them to the worship service.

Also, I love my church family and I can argue with the best all day long that you won't find any more friendlier a congregation. The only difference is that on Sunday morning when the service is over and we're all out front shaking hands and jawing, we won't be doing it in shorts.

Actually - As I've visited a lot of different churches. Some were great and full of genuine people, but I have experienced far too many of the kind you describe. But, I'm not sure those people all dressed to the nines, frowns on their faces, and pretending to be more spiritual than others are really all that uncomfortable. I think there is a certain degree of satisfaction that comes with self-righteousness. The Pharisees had to be uncomfortable in all that garb they were wearing and all those rules and regulations they were enforcing, but I guess there was release when they got a chance to hang Jesus on the cross... Afterall, Crucify Him! Crucify Him! seems to be much easier than saying, I'm but a sinner in need of grace...

Preacher2671

Not saying being comfortable is wrong.....but to me....it should be the last thing considered when preparing to go to God's House. In all my years as being a youth leader, Sunday School teacher and Pastor I've only had to talk to someone on two occasions about dress in Church. One was a young man wearing flip flops with his shorts to Church and another a young ladie who could not pray in the alter because her MINI-skirt was way too short. Both times it was done in love and patience and both are still an integral part of the Church today. I guess I just hold Sundays as being very special and I can sacrifice my comfort one day a week. What I feel on the inside makes me feel good in Church not what Ii'm wearing on the outside. I promise if you come to our Church you'll not see the pastor looking like a prune just because he wears a suit.......I'll be smiling ear to ear because I'm in God's house and delivering the greatest news the world has ever heard.

PWalls

Maybe I am missing something here.

Are there people here actually making a correlation that people who wear suits aren't comfortable or are prudes?

Sorry. Again, a properly fitted suit is very comfortable.

And, what, if you wear a suit, you are self-righteous or better than someone else?

leroy

really not necessarily your clothes but as some said your attitude. Some act like its wrong to look as if you are enjoying yourself while worshiping the Lord. But pwalls some did bring up the point in the other thread that ones in suits or more dressed up were more mature in their walk than someone in jeans, take it as you will.

Preacher2671

leroy said:
really not necessarily your clothes but as some said your attitude. Some act like its wrong to look as if you are enjoying yourself while worshiping the Lord.
Don't come hear me preach if that's the case :biggrin2:

PWalls said:
Maybe I am missing something here.

Are there people here actually making a correlation that people who wear suits aren't comfortable or are prudes?

Sorry. Again, a properly fitted suit is very comfortable.

And, what, if you wear a suit, you are self-righteous or better than someone else?
That is not my assertion. I've seen prudish, self-righteous "Christians" in a variety of dress, just as I have God-loving, humble fruit-bearing Christ-followers... It seems it's more a condition of the heart than of the wardrobe...

PWalls

billyjames said:
It seems it's more a condition of the heart than of the wardrobe...

I don't think there is a "seems" to it. You have hit the nail on the head. If you're heart ain't into the worship service, you are not going to be comfortable or at ease regardless of what you are wearing.

PWalls said:
I don't think there is a "seems" to it. You have hit the nail on the head. If you're heart ain't into the worship service, you are not going to be comfortable or at ease regardless of what you are wearing.
Maybe a bit off subject, but not too much I hope. I was in a church a couple of years ago and was observing a woman on the front row 'worshiping away"! She had her head thrown back, arms raised in praise, singing along with every word of the song... Really getting into the service. I remember thinking, "Man, she's got it going on..." As I was leaving I walked past her and two other women in the parking lot. She was puffin' on a big old Winston blowing smoke rings in the air talking about how stupid one of the singers in the choir looked in that "get-up" she was wearing. I guess you really can't tell a book by it's cover...

PWalls

She musta been a "Charismatic".

Just kidding.::ke: ::ke: ::ke:

Yes, the problem with that is she was more than likely there for self-edification. Or, her memory wasn't too good.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
as long as folks are not looking down on others for what they are wearing no one should care. Folks should be there to worship and not win (or lose) a fashion show.

This of course means that all common decency should be followed

LJay

Retired Mod
I think the simple answer is that is just doesn't matter what you wear. I don't own a suit, so therefore I wouldn't be very comfortable in one. If you wear them often, then you would be comfortable. Worship the lord, not others opions.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I thought it might be closer since you had Carnesville listed.

Preacher2671

Just moved to Carnesville a few months ago to help my wifes family out since her dad has cancer......Be glad to have you visit though if you can ever make the trip................