Opinions on a fly fishing outfit??????

Want to start trout fishing in north ga. with a fly rod. New to this, so , what would be a good starter outfit? What weight? Guess there is a lot of difference in fly rods , so that is why I am asking.

MadDawg51

Bowbender, I am also pretty new at fly fishing. For the smaller creeks and rivers of the GA mountains, I think a fairly light set-up is better. So, that would be something in the 3/4 wt. Long rods help my casting. But, the N. GA creeks don't favor long rods. I have an 8'-6" St. Croix that must be about the perfect lenght because it is way more than needed for the small creeks and not quite enough when I get on the Hooch. Don't spend all your money on the first rod, reel, line, and backing. You will be looking for more soon.

MadDawg51

trouthound

Go see the guys at The Fishawk in Buckhead. They have an unbelievable amount of experience and just what you need. In my opinion, the rod and line are most important. The 3/4 wt. is fine. Remember, "there ain't no point in having a nice rod if you can't cast that thing." (a quote/scolding I received from a really good guide).

Georgia Hard Hunter

MAdDawg51 raises a good question, What size water are you going to be fishing? If bigger rivers are the target then I would go with a longer 9' rod, if you'll be on smaller waters most of the time then a shorter rod 8 1/2' to 7 1/2' would be in order. Weight of the rod will lend itself to individual preference so if you got to shops like the fish hawk they will let you cast different weight rods to get a feel for them (but a 5 weight is the most popular)

yaknfish

You can't go wrong at the Fish Hawk. Don't be scared by the price tags on the rack. They can set you up in any price range. A 9' 5wt is generally considered the most versatile, first rod. Mine'll cast little trout flies, panfish poppers, and small bass bugs. You could start with a SA, Cortland, or Martin kit for under $100 or spend a little more. A pretty decent Temple Fork or St Croix entry level rod, a simple reel and a decent line will cost you about $250. Ugly Stik makes a few fly rods, believe it or not. Never cast one myself. They're heavy. Eagle Claw makes a few inexpensive rods that folks say cast nicely.

Spend more on the rod and line, less on the reel.
Don't sweat getting it perfect. You'll buy another.

Tightliner

Go see the guys at The Fishawk in Buckhead. They have an unbelievable amount of experience and just what you need. In my opinion, the rod and line are most important. The 3/4 wt. is fine. Remember, "there ain't no point in having a nice rod if you can't cast that thing." (a quote/scolding I received from a really good guide).

Ditto.

Last time down at thr FH, thet had an increadible deals on a brand new Sage TXL's. These are ultra light weight small stream rods. I have a 00 and 1 wt, they are great rods. I use the 1wt quite often even on big water, cast just af far as you need. Just dont like big streamers and windy days.

Later................................

DFB

I like my old discontinued Sage LL series; a 9' 6 wt, a 9' 5 wt, a 7'-11" 4 wt, a 8'-9" 3 wt, a 6'-6" 3 wt and a 7'-9" 2 wt.
Did I tell you that I like my old discontinued Sage LL series?
If those won't handle the water that I'm fishing in, I'll switch to a Sage RPLXi in a 7, 8, 9 or 10 wt.
My Orvis Trident TL's are collecting dust.

Don't forget a good line and practice will help make you a better caster.