What Does it Mean to Be "Born Again"

ilikembig

I always understood it like this...
when one accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and knows in their heart that he died for their sins and is not living life by the worlds standards. Then expresses this outwardly by baptism.

Here are some scriptures.

1Peter
1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

John 3:3 -8
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Paul describes it as, in God's eye, you are a new creature, the old person has died and a new person has been born.

You have to let your old self die and the new self filled with the Holy Spirit. The old self will still want to "reappear" and that's when we Christians fall into sin.

David Mills said:
Paul describes it as, in God's eye, you are a new creature, the old person has died and a new person has been born.

You have to let your old self die and the new self filled with the Holy Spirit. The old self will still want to "reappear" and that's when we Christians fall into sin.
That makes a lot of sense. Sometimes I feel like I take two steps forward and three steps backward. Does that mean my salvation is coming and going? And, what can I do to keep this from happening?

Dixie Dawg said:
You aren't sure of your salvation?

Hugs!
Kerri ;)
I thought I was, but, after reading some of the posts from "mature" Christians, I'm not sure I know enough just yet to really be saved... But, I'm really getting some hopeful replies today. Thatks all.

ilikembig

billyjames said:
That makes a lot of sense. Sometimes I feel like I take two steps forward and three steps backward. Does that mean my salvation is coming and going? And, what can I do to keep this from happening?

Life is going to be a constant battle. You are not perfect, you are a sinner, just as I am. It would lead me to believe that with your questioning you understand that your steps back are NOT where you want to be. Learn from those back steps; this will help grow your strength when moving forward.

ilikembig

billyjames said:
I thought I was, but, after reading some of the posts from "mature" Christians, I'm not sure I know enough just yet to really be saved... But, I'm really getting some hopeful replies today. Thatks all.

Kerri -

You question him as if you have never questioned yourself. I find it VERY disheartening that you would try to lead someone down a road of ruin. More prayers coming your way.

ilikembig

Dixie Dawg said:
I'm afraid I'm not much help, but I can tell you that according to SBG, if you have doubts about your salvation, then you aren't really saved. Hope this helps! :)

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

That is NOT true at all.

ilikembig

Dixie Dawg said:
What the heck are you talking about? I asked him if he doubted his salvation. His questions and posts indicated as much. How is clarifying a thought leading someone down a road of ruin? :crazy:

And you might want to save your breath for prayers that could actually help someone else :)

As a Christian, I want to pray for you. ::;
Let me ask you this, since you have stated on several occasions that you are NOT a Christian why are you even questioning someone and their faith? What outcome are you looking for there?

ilikembig

Dixie Dawg said:
I didn't question his faith. I asked him if HE was questioning it.

This forum is "Spiritual Discussion, Debate and Study". That's what I'm doing here, discussing. If you don't want to read my posts, put me on ignore.

And you don't really want to pray for me... you just want to look good saying it :)

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

Man Kerri
You really are struggling.
Just so you know, the Lord knows my heart. Your stones cant break me sweetie.

I will continue to pray for you.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Sometimes I feel like I take two steps forward and three steps backward. Does that mean my salvation is coming and going?

I often like to read the letters from Paul because he explains a lot about spiritual growth. He describes a new Christian as a “babe in Christ”, and as a babe, one has to crawl before he/she can walk. And, as Paul also describes, there will be a time when God expects us to move away from milk and take on solid food.
Christ never said that following Him would be easy, in fact, he said that we would have to endure many hardships because we do follow Him. But, we use these hardships to learn and to grow.
I believe when one doubts, it is not necessarily a sign that they are not saved. A lot of that depends on who or what that person is doubting. I sometimes have doubts about myself, my commitment, my lack of faith. But, I have no doubt about the love, grace, and mercy of Jesus Christ. Just keep that in perspective.

Eshad

billyjames said:

Billy, here is another:
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Eshad

billyjames said:

Billy, read Romans 7:14-25. Even Paul had struggles.::;

GeauxLSU

Billy,
I'm sorry you've asked what appears to be a heart felt question and it is getting lost in noise. I stopped reading after the first several post since I can see you were just being ignored.
To attempt to answer your question, everyone's perspective is going to be a little different. For some it defines an actual 'experience'. For others it defines an adult (spiritual adult that is) acknowledgement. For still others it's simply a public profession of a long held belief.
Most commonly I'm sure it's used to describe what is prophessed to be a life changing event for some, when they acknowledge both their sinfulness and their acceptance of Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.
Some will tell you that you are not saved if your experience doesn't parallel theirs. I'll leave that to the hearts of the individual and God.

FESTUSHAGGIN

you dont have to "know" anything to be saved. i have seen invalids that cant even take care of themselves be saved. we have a man at our church that is under sonstant care. he is handicapped and i would put his faith against any man i know. one of the most loving people i have ever known.

as far as knowing i was 9 when i was saved. i didnt knwo alot about anything but that didnt stop me from getting where i needed to be. just try not to work things out in your head. that is a mistake. the only way you will know is just to ask the lord. do it as if your life depended on it, cause it does. and as for you salvation coming and going. i believe once saved always saved. now that dont mean you cant get away from th elord and be punished for that, but when you are saved i dont believe anything can take that away. btw how old are you?

Dana Young

You will have doubts That is satans job to make you doubt. I even doubted being called to Preach. I'll relate what the lord showed me. We were at a revival one preacher had already preached and the pastor of the church stood and stated that he felt someone still needed something then he begain to preach all this time I was struggling with the devil telling me I had lied to the church That I wasn't called to prteach when the next thing I know I was behind the pulpit preaching to make a long story short a woman was saved and alot of other people filled the alter to pray for things the lord showed me right theree that he called me and the devil was a liar. You will have doubts but listen to the lord . doubts don't make you anyless christian they just strenghten your walk with God
Dana

7mm08

being saved

answer these questions
1. do you believe that jesus died on the cross for you?
2. have you asked him to forgive you of your sins and have you asked him to come into your heart and save you?
3. do you believe that he did come into your heart and save you?

If you answered yes to these three questions then you are saved. God says come to me as a child. he doesn't say come to me when you know everything and then i will help.

If you answered no to any of those then spend some time in prayer with God or seek council immediately. any pastor will help you. God does not lie and he tells us that if we ask him to come into our heart and save us he does it.

when we are saved we then become a new creature and we need to seek his will. sometimes it is a difficult road. we still want to follow those old worldly urges sometimes. but we now have the strength to overcome them. he that is in me is greater than he that is in the world.

good luck and drop me a line if you need to talk.:)

Last edited:

DCarter001

billyjames said:
Exactly how would one go about being "born again"?
Billy,
I did my dead level best to describe this in the other thread you mentioned. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them to the best of my abilities, either in a public forum such as this or via a series of PM's if you so choose.
If you are truely a seeker, your apparent sarcasm at times is unfortunate. My sincerest hope and desire is that you are truely seeking the knowledge you ask about. If you are, there are many on this site who would be willing to assist you in any way possible.
Sincerely,
DC

DCarter001 said:
Billy,
I did my dead level best to describe this in the other thread you mentioned. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them to the best of my abilities, either in a public forum such as this or via a series of PM's if you so choose.
If you are truely a seeker, your apparent sarcasm at times is unfortunate. My sincerest hope and desire is that you are truely seeking the knowledge you ask about. If you are, there are many on this site who would be willing to assist you in any way possible.
Sincerely,
DC
Yes. You and many others have been very helpful and open to my questions. I'm sorry if I missed your reply on another thread (There was the original one that got all these questions started that disappeared. I assume your reply was buried somewhere in that thread.) Forgive my sarcasm. These matters, and the way they are articulated by persons professing to be mature Christians are close to my heart, and I suppose the sarcasm you detect comes from that passionate quest for non-believing souls to be introduced to this awesome Jesus we all discuss on this forum.

DCarter001

Billy,
Don't worry. You've not offended me in any way, even if you did, I'm young, I'll get over it. Please also be patient with those who are responding to your posts. Many times we(i'm guilty) read into a post the wrong tone. That is the unfortunate drawback of this type medium we are using, intonation and inflection are lost through the keystrokes. Keep your heart open, your Bible too, and ask God to guide you.
DC