PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Kayaking

pesce
02-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I declare this year (well, next week) to be The One About the Crappie. I took the trusty ol' kayak out last week to get the cobwebs off and everything was in working order.:clap: So now I plan to be on the south end of Lanier finding crappie at least 3 mornings (or afternoons) next week. Yeah, I know there's better crappie fishing on the north end. But that's a longer drive and I'd only be able to do that once in a week. Sometimes quantity wins. :D So, anybody who wants to join in on my Seek and Fry Mission is welcome, just lemme know. I plan to be out on Tuesday, and Thursday too. Not sure about the third day yet.

Also, if anybody has any tips about crappie fishing from a kayak, I'm all ears.

Wishin I was Fishin
02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Just as soon as the tax money comes back I should have a kayak myself, although I doubt it will be next week. Might tag along one day if you don't mind. I don't live far from l'ville, so the south end wouldn't be much farther for me than it is you.

aznflycaster
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
I went to Lake Harding and caught a bunch of dinks but they tasted like the big ones. The best tip I can offer if fishing with minnows is to down line 2 rods and use your toes to set the rods in so you can feel them and rig the other 2 with a slip bobber to fish away from you. Some times this works and sometimes it dosen't but mostly does, take a small jig head and hook the minnow upside down so when the jig is down there the minnow will try real hard to upright itself. And if using a stringer have some sort of break away system if something decides that it want the fish more.

pesce
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
@Wishin I was Fishin, you are always welcome to join in. What kind of kayak are you getting?

@aznflycaster, I was gonna say that there's no gators on Lanier, but then I started thinking about some of the other stuff that swims there and how little it really takes to make trouble for the captain of a plastic boat. Now I've got to get out to the garage and make a couple of mods. Thanks for that advice. And thanks for the other tips too. I have a couple of rods rigged to downline. I'll give the minnow trick a try too.

Now if I get my chores done, I can hang out in the garage and practice my dock shooting.

Wishin I was Fishin
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Its a Perception Pescador, just a rebadged 2007-08 model Tarpon 120. I'm hoping I can keep up on the big water.

Funny, because shooting docks is on my list of things to do from the plastic boat, you'd definitely have a partner if you want to try that. A good excuse to replenish my stock of jigs as well :)

duckbill
02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Funny, because shooting docks is on my list of things to do from the plastic boat, you'd definitely have a partner if you want to try that. A good excuse to replenish my stock of jigs as well :)

I think shootin docks is one of the great advantages of the kayak. You can sneak up and hit those tough to reach spots;)

Wishin I was Fishin
02-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I think shootin docks is one of the great advantages of the kayak. You can sneak up and hit those tough to reach spots;)

Exactly. :cool: