Kayak ocmulgee between jackson and hwy 57

picmman

Has anyone kayaked the ocmulgee from the bridge below lake jackson to the hwy 57 bridge? We are planning to do this but want to take along a jon-boat to carry supplies etc. I know there are some rapids,,but would like to know if we could hand carry the jon-boat for short distances around rapids. any info would be appreciated

coachrollo

My buddy has done the ocmulgee all the way to the coast . He said you could but thought it would be easier just to canoe it. Be hard to drag john boat wit yak

KDarsey

Lot of supplies

Randy

You are looking at a couple of real long days. Between the lake and Julliett there are Lara of shoals that will be hard to get thru in a jon boat. Then you have the dam at Julliette. I recommend you start below Julliette. Maybe putting in at Popes Ferry.

picmman

well there would be someone in the j-boat with trolling motor/paddle......supplies are for overnight stop.......57 bridge is 2 miles above juliette dam

Randy

well there would be someone in the j-boat with trolling motor/paddle......supplies are for overnight stop.......57 bridge is 2 miles above juliette dam

There is no highway 57 in that area that I know of? There is highway 83?

Never the less a jonboat doing that stretch is a lot of dragging. Smith shoals will eat you lunch. If you are talking one overnight you should be able to get enough supplies for that in your yak? Where would you be staying overnight?

wgatling

I have paddled that section in a whitewater canoe. The first 8 miles or so has lots of rocks and a few drops with the biggest being a class III. A jonboat would have a rough time until you get to Wise Creek.

After Wise Creek access point, there aren't any rapids and very few rocks. The current drops way off too.
GCA-Canoe-Ocmulgee.jpg

This is smaller than the class III and is the last rapid before Wise Creek. The Wise Creek access point has lots of parking and is on the East side of the river.

catalpa

We did Lake Jackson to Dykes Landing, 106 miles in 3 long days, be glad to give you an overview. I will PM you my number. One warning portage at Forty Acre Island it makes for a better day!

Paddle

I have seen people that didn't do their homework and "walked" a jon boat down Lamar's Mill Rapids (misidentified as Smith's Mill) . That boat got beat up pretty bad.

If you deiced to do it take something to patch holes. They are too wide for this section.