Best gameplan for morning?

amc5

So I am in my second year of Turkey hunting. Still learning of course. At times, I don't have a whole lot of time to locate the night before. Any tips for first thing in the morning? Do you do a hoot? Fly down sound? What kind of calls do you make at day break?

Also, I was reading on here yesterday where a guy had a similar issue, and someone suggested looking for places on the ground and dirt for hen marks? Dustbowls? Can someone explain? Pictures perhaps? Thanks much!! :cool:

Payton Everett

Owl hoot early in the morning to make him gobble, set up close to him and wait for him to fly down then try and call him in.

242outdoors

Banned
if you dont have one located the night before then owl hoot at day break and see if you can locate one. then look at the lay of the land, where the birds usually feed and go during the day, and set up in a spot you think he would be comfortable going. you can set up 75 yards from him on the roost but if he doesn't wanna come where you are then he wont.

amc5

Thanks guys. Any suggestion on a good hoot call? I bought one last year and it sounded like a party favor.

bangbird

You don't HAVE to hoot. You can just lean against a tree quietly and listen. They usually gobble on their own, especially if there's owls calling, and even more so once the crows start going....

However some mornings they can be tight lipped and a good owl hoot is good to have. Some of the guys will chime in on suggestions..

Payton Everett

H.S. Strut Palmers hoot tube and the new H.S. Strut limb shaker i imagine would sound almost the same as the hoot tube. There are better ones out there im sure but these are just some of the cheaper ones and you can get a good sound out of them. I've had success with the hoot tube
This guy has a pretty good explanation of how to use one towards the end of the video

Last edited:

bnew17

id wait to see if they gobble on their own before hooting. ALWAYS before you make any type of call make sure you have somewhere very close by to set up if need be

bnew17

get a Hooks "Harrisons Hootn Stick"...you can thank me later...here is a video of the call being run by James Harrison. 2 time grand champion...he designed the call. I would advise against the Palmers. If you are dead set on one dont buy it, they up to par IMO. I will give you mine for free.

Payton Everett

get a Hooks "Harrisons Hootn Stick"...you can thank me later...here is a video of the call being run by James Harrison. 2 time grand champion...he designed the call. I would advise against the Palmers. If you are dead set on one dont buy it, they up to par IMO. I will give you mine for free.

That does sound really good...

wack em

I carry a hoot in my vest but it probably only gets used 1 out of 30 mornings. I normally get to a good listening spot, camo up, and wait for the crows to start. A wild turkey gobbler will gobble on his own about the time the crows start almost every morning in the spring.

returntoarchery

I also lean against a tree and let them fire up themselves or with real owls. I'll look at the topo and maps and figure out a high point to listen from that is near some water and likely roosting spots. I'll give that spot a couple mornings as has been said before sometime they are tight lipped. If one gobbles I decide if he's in range and whether to go after him. If none gobbles I'll start trolling calling every 200-300 yards but be sure to have a good setup nearby before you call. I've been busted when they got on top of me before I could find a setup spot. I'll spend the rest of the morning trolling. I've also setup and waited an hour for one to come in after I've struck him and his stopped gobbling after 2 gobbles. Called every 10 to 15 minutes before he came quiet.

For the owl hotter I've got both the H.S Strut Palmer's Hoot Tube and the Harrison's Hootn Stick as well a Knight and Hale and Lynch. All I'll say is the Palmer's and other are setting in a pile on my desk and the Harrison's in my vest.

Last edited:

FMBear

The leaning against a tree is great advice. Let them fire up on their own. I do still carry a Lohman barrel style owl hooter that I've used over 21 years now, but rarely do I need to use it if I'm in the right area. I will also say that, time permitting, try to stay out in the woods until at least 2:00, and be back in the woods by 4:00 if you have to take a break. Yes, I've gotten plenty of 2 year old toms in the morning, but all of my success on my best birds have come after 12:00. Most have come after 3:30. Look for dust bowls on the edge of sandy roads and food plots. These are especially key to hunting birds after the peak of the morning gobbling.

FMBear

Here are some pictures of some hens in dust bowls at the edge of one of my food plots. Also, a picture of a tom I got on opening day last year at 11:20 in the morning hunting the edge of this food plot. It came in with 3 other toms and 4 jakes. You can see the dust bowls at the edge of the food plot.

Attachments

• DustBowl1.jpg
    DustBowl1.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 499
  • DustBowlKill.jpg
    DustBowlKill.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 466

Benhillcountyhunter

I agree with finding a good spot and listening. Just make sure to scout for sign. If you find an area with a lot of tracks, dust bowls, and strut marks just setup there and listen. The chances of a bird roosting within earshot is great. I have killed just about all my birds by letting the woods wakeup on there own.

JHannah92

My typical morning:

Get to my listening spot well before daylight. Wait quietly for the birds to gobble on their own. If they're not talking by daylight, I'll hoot at em or hit a crow call.
When I find a talker, I get as close as I can without spooking him and make a couple soft yelps to let him know I'm there. Sometimes he'll fly down and come right in. More often, he'll group up with hens and move off. If he does that, I'll either try to cut em off or find a more cooperative bird.

I'm no turkey expert, but this has worked pretty good for me so far.