Pattern Help

DylanMullis

"Mossberg 835 ultra mag 3.5 28" barrel" what would be a deadly shot shell and choke combination? i wana be able to reach out there and get that bird that hangs up at 50-60 yards!!!

Attachments

• turkey gun.bmp
    34 KB · Views: 293

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
There is no choke and shell that is guaranteed to work in every gun. I have seen shotguns with consecutive serial numbers shoot two completely different patterns with the same choke and shell.
An Indian Creek, Pure Gold, Rhino ,Jellyhead or StarDot with Nitro Ammo or H-13 #6,#7, or Magblends have done well in MOST guns I have seen, but for every 10 success stories there is 10 more that say their gun likes something else.
Trial and error is the only way to know for sure what YOUR gun likes.

goblr77

If you want an expensive choke go with a .675 Indian Creek. Cheap, go with a .670 Truglo SSX. Run Hevi-13 2.25 oz #7's through either.

Brad C.

I would have told him about the Star Dot but he won't be able to find one.

Yea, and we didn't even recommend any shells. :p

Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7's. Buy you about 2 or 3 boxes of 5. Shoot maybe a box of 5 and keep the rest for the season. They shoot better than any factory load I know of in the 835.

Concentrate your choke efforts on exit diameters from .670 to .680 and you should be good to go. That Tru-Glo SSX would be the way to go if you want to save some money.

PAUL J

I'm getting more consistent patterns with the indian creek black diamond strike .675. And i'm a diehard star dot fan

DylanMullis

just ordered the Indian Creek Black Diamond Choke, a box of Hevi-Shot 2.25 oz #6's, and a box of Hevi-Shot magnum blend 2.25 oz #5,6,7's.......thanks for the advice guys!