Kayak colors?

Apex Predator

I'm looking to buy my first kayak, and I'm up in the air about colors. I think a brightly colored one would be safer, but not sure if I could handle the bright colors in the sun all day. Maybe flash blindness? I also plan to hunt from this kayak and would love for it to be less visible from from the river when I'm off chasing critters on the bank. You folks have any insight that may help me?

horse2292

I got the olive color Ultimate 14 from SEA in Brunswick and a bright orange vest. I was thinking along your lines on the brightness.

Apex Predator

I think the dark colors would get really hot in the summer! :) Maybe kaki or sand would be the best compromise?

deerhunter09

I have a bright red WS 135, and the color doesn't hurt my eyes in the least. I would think it would only bother you if it were a bright white color.
I think the brighter colors are a good idea just to be more visible to oncoming boat traffic.

markland

Hey Marty check out the Jackson Coosa kayak, they are green in color and would work well for what you want to do. Jeff got his a couple of weeks ago and really likes it and looking at them on-line they look like the setup to have.
If you can stand up and jump around on them, it should definitely be able to float a hog out on for sure!

Last edited:

Randy

All of my kayaks are yellow. I want to be seen by boats on lakes or by the coast guard should something happen offshore. Alligators seem to run away faster and further from bright colored yaks. Light colored yaks are cooler. I wear sunglasses on the water anyway.

Apex Predator

I've been talking with jeff about his Mark, and I'm leaning that way. I'm thinking sand may be the best compromise, and just wear a bright colored PFD.

markland

There ya go that will work. I researched them for awhile and decided on the Coosa, but just could not swing the price right now so I just fixed up the old one I had to get ready for some fishing, can't wait for the warm weather now!

Corey

Any suggestions for a shark repellent color?:D

Easy Dave, ***** your finger and hold it in the water
and they would not ever care about you Kayak.

Apx, get what ever color you want just get you some
blind materal from wal-mart and keep it with you to
cover up the yak when your out hunting.

Wishin I was Fishin

I'd go with a brighter color and you can fix some sort of camo cover to it while hunting, or take the time to put camo tape on it. I was having the same problem but would rather be seen easily by a boater than be unseen and run over. I figured I would be fishing more than I would be hunting from it in the long run anyway. Sand should be easy to blend, moreso than yellow or red I would think.

MadDawg51

I've got a cammo green Moken that is great on the rivers. But, I get a bit nervous when I'm on Lanier with the lake runners and mega schooners. I do think bright colors have their place. But, color can be added to a cammo boat. If it is bright yellow, it is just bright yellow.

mesocollins

Mine's yellow and red. If you want to hunt out of it, just get a large piece of camo cloth, cut a hole in it for yourself, and rig it onto your yak when u go hunt. Maybe some others here have done this and have a good way to rig 'em? I was thinking about using elastic around the bottom so it would be like a boat cover/huge spray skirt.

If you're not into projects, get a green, tan, or camo yak and a brightly colored life jacket and just wear camo over it when u go hunting.

badkarma

Use the bright colored pfd and maybe use a bright colored reflective flag/pennant on a short flexible staff. Could even use the end of an old fishing rod.

FurFeathers&Scales

I have a Sand Coosa and love the color... I can easily hide in the the grass and also add some type of camo if need be. I know this will be the coolest color during the hot summers and it doesn't reflect much that I can tell due to the slight texture on the boat. I bought mine because of its versitility and weight capacity also. You won't go wrong with it... a little pricey, but it will hold its resale pretty good being a Jackson. Good luck!

B

breampole

I have a camo wilderness systems commander 120 which is what people call a hybrid. I would have preferred a different color probably sand or mango, but bought it used. I have a bright yellow pfd, and I don't go on large lakes, but the Altamaha can these days look like I-75. However unless crossing I am pretty much near the bank. I agree with the bright color recommendations and camo cloth to cover it if you are hunting. I don't know how awkard that would be to camo it if you are hunting from the boat. Also I don't think color would matter unless on a large lake or a river with a number of jet skis and power boats. I'd buy the color I liked if to be used on ponds small lakes and rivers. Personally I really like the sand color.

56willysnut

Attachments

• 0215111639.jpg
    0215111639.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

aznflycaster

Working on a flag pole out of an old rod for early morning and night fishing, gonna add one of thoes blinking glow sticks on the pole. And on my dark green kayak I ran DOT grade reflective tape down each side of the kayak and when I get some more I will put some on the paddle.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i have a dark yak but keep a bright paddle. as a power boater i see the paddle before i see anything else .