"Why do you care what others believe?"

atlashunter

One more reason to care.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-25/world/nigeria.child.witches_1_witches-godwin-orphanage?_s=PM:WORLD

Pastors in southeast Nigeria claim illness and poverty are caused by witches who bring terrible misfortune to those around them. And those denounced as witches must be cleansed through deliverance or cast out.

As daylight breaks, and we travel out to the rural villages it becomes apparent the most vulnerable to this stigmatization of witchcraft are children.

A crowd gathered around two brothers and their sister. Tears streamed down their mother's face as she cast out her children from the family, accusing them of causing the premature deaths of two of their siblings with black magic.

"I am afraid. They are witches and they can kill me as well," she sobbed.

Taking his time to talk to the mother, Sam Ikpe-Itauma, an imposing man wearing a "Child's Rights & Rehabilitation Network" t-shirt, has come to try to rescue the three children.

"If we are not here there's a possibility of them being thrown into the river, buried alive or stabbed to death," Sam said.

He tries to persuade their mother and a crowd of villagers that the three children are not witches - but no one believes him. And so, putting the children in his white pick-up, he drives away to his orphanage and safety.

atlashunter

According to your worldview, their lives are subjective. How can you say this is a reason to care?

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean "their lives are subjective"?

stringmusic

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean "their lives are subjective"?

From an atheistic perspective their lives are worth or not worth caring about, whichever one he or she chooses. The atheists' worldview doesnt assert that everyone should care. Everything is relative. So when how can you state the fact that this is "another reason to care"? It might be another reason to care for you, but not everyone, right?

atlashunter

From an atheistic perspective their lives are worth or not worth caring about, whichever one he or she chooses.

The atheist "perspective" is simply one that lacks a belief in a god due to lack of evidence. How you get from that to the above I don't know but it isn't something I've ever said.

So when how can you state the fact that this is "another reason to care"? It might be another reason to care for you, but not everyone, right?

I don't state as an objective fact. If you care about the well being of others, and I do, then this is a reason to care about what people believe. If it were only a trivial matter without real world consequences it would be different. But for the families ripped apart and children murdered because of this religious nonsense the consequences are very much real.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I remember reading about similar stories that happened here in the USA back in the 1600's. Does Salem ring a bell?

atlashunter

Another reason to care what others believe...

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-man-accused-carving-pentagram-son-194341123.html

His stepfather told the newspaper that Bartel was "deep into the Old Testament" and may have convoluted some biblical references about Passover, a weeklong Jewish commemoration of the deliverance of the ancient Hebrews from slavery in Egypt that occurs in March or April.

"If you know about the Old Testament, there's the Passover marks on the door frame (that) were done with a sacrificial lamb, definitely not sacrificial children," John Ponce said.

Hmmm... using the blood of one's innocent son as a passover sacrifice. I wonder how anyone could ever read the bible and get that idea? :rolleyes:

Oconostota

Banned
Nah - this is yet another Lazarus thread. :D Bring that cranky old dead you-know-what back to life, so we can kill him again. :D

drippin' rock

Hard to believe such nonsense and ignorance still florishes. The article says "pastors". Are they implying that these are Christian leaders accusing children of witchcraft?

BTW Atlas, where do you come up with these 'Bubbles' avatars? They are priceless!:rofl:

mtnwoman

atlashunter

I love your little bittle kittehs.

How did they evolve into what they are? lol

Evolve? Pfthtt! What nonsense. Everybody knows the kittehs were made on Khnum's pottery wheel.

ted_BSR

The atheist "perspective" is simply one that lacks a belief in a god due to lack of evidence. How you get from that to the above I don't know but it isn't something I've ever said.

I don't state as an objective fact. If you care about the well being of others, and I do, then this is a reason to care about what people believe. If it were only a trivial matter without real world consequences it would be different. But for the families ripped apart and children murdered because of this religious nonsense the consequences are very much real.

Why do you care about the well being of others?

atlashunter

Why do you care about the well being of others?

Because I am able to empathize and have a preference for less pain and suffering in the world rather than more.

gordon 2

Because I am able to empathize and have a preference for less pain and suffering in the world rather than more.

That is about as close to the golden rule as a "fish" can get.:D See even atheists are spiritual...::ke: Wonder if unlike many christians I know, many atheists practice what they preach or are just as saved as anyone else?::ke:

atlashunter

That is about as close to the golden rule as a "fish" can get.:D See even atheists are spiritual...::ke: Wonder if unlike many christians I know, many atheists practice what they preach or are just as saved as anyone else?::ke:

The superstitious don't own title to the golden rule. It stands independent of spiritual belief.