Quite an odd morning

SpurHuntinHillbilly

:banginghe

Went across the border and headed out west of Callahan, FL this morning into an area that my buddy said was loaded with birds. (We went in Blind) Well it was a beautiful morning, 48 degrees and no wind. Not one gobble this morning at sunrise. We set up in 3 different locations, made some calls and the hens were practically in our lap all morning but still not one gobble. Sat there listening quietly and not even spittin or drummin going on. I found that odd considering all the tracks and wing marks in the sand we saw this morning not to mention all of the hens in the area. I thought that at least we would see some jakes running around but nothing. Anyone ever had this happen where the big boys wont even gobble off the roost? I'm thinking coyotes are a problem...

Jaker

Banned
yes, I used to have a piece of land that was 600 acres, all hardwoods and loaded with birds, we would plant a chufa patch and you could sit on it and see 30 to 40 birds in 2 hours. but we hunted that place for 4 years without hearing a gobble. I killed a lot
of birds off of it, but it just wasn't a lot of fun not gettin to hear em, anyways don't know what happened but one year they just started gobblin, u go out there now and will probably hear half a dozen birds. i believe what it was, is there was one old bird keepin
all the others quiet. I killed one that had a 12.5" beard, and 1.25" spurs at the end of the season before they started gobblin, and after that we heard birds, idk just my theory.