Gotta be able to hear!

HALOJmpr

Went out to a local WMA where I had located 3 birds this morning. I was trying to get my 10yo nephew his first bird. As we worked our way to the spot it was slow going with the heavy fog. I figured that would keep them on the roost a little later. Since he has trouble sitting still (typical 10yo) we took a blind to set up for him and his dad. After we got it brushed in I got them settled in and I set up on a tree behind them to call. About 45 minutes later I heard 2 birds fly down but couldn't see them. I was proud of how quiet my nephew was and couldn't wait for him to get a bird. I started a series and cluck and purred a couple of times and this bird goes to spitting and drumming like crazy. He cuts off and I cluck a few times and he starts up again. I know the bird has to be really close for me to hear him that well drumming and I'm waiting for the shot to go off any minute. He was on the other side of the blind from me so I couldn't see him. I wait about 10 minutes and cluck/purr again to no answer. I paralyzed from moving right now afraid the bird is circling us and will see me so I stay frozen. Another 15 minutes and nothing. Finally frustrated I ease over to the blind and when I peek in my nephew is stretched out ASLEEP!!!! His dad is watching but says he never heard the bird :banginghe Apparently he has a good bit of hearing loss from his time in service. I was torn between yanking my hair out and laughing out loud. I'm going to choose to laugh about it :) I'll get em on another bird later I guess .... just thought I'd share and hopefully next time we'll lay one out for pictures!

Will-dawg

I feel your pain. I found it best to take something to keep kids occupied--hand held games are awesome for this.

He'll get him one. Just keep taking him.:cool:

wmahunter

Banned
If he was spitting and drumming but not gobbling then he might not have know he was hearing a turkey. Some folks that haven't hunted them much don't know they make other sounds and therefore are only listening for gobbles.

HALOJmpr

If he was spitting and drumming but not gobbling then he might not have know he was hearing a turkey. Some folks that haven't hunted them much don't know they make other sounds and therefore are only listening for gobbles.

I went to another spot close to the house on the way home. I have gotten birds to gobble at me there but I don't have permission to hunt. We parked on the road and got out just because I wanted my nephew to hear what we were listening for. I got one to gobble a ways off, around 200 yards I guess. He couldn't hear that one either. My nephew heard it fine though. With the bird only spitting and drumming my turkey mentor and I were talking that he probably was a 2 year old that's had his tail whooped often by a more dominant bird. That's why he wouldn't gobble???