Busted!

dawgsandbucks

This is only my second year turkey hunted and I decided to only use my bow. I sat up behind a blown down oak tree this morning and had one gobbling it's head off about 200 yards away. I was so concentrated on that bird (and the four deer in the field I was hunting) that I didn't even notice the Tom, Jake, and two hens come into the field about 80 yards to my right. I was able to call the tom to within 15 yards of me, and had him quartering away, but the minute I came to full draw he spotted me and was gone. Is there anything I should have done differently? Maybe bring my gun next time :bounce:

I've been hunting turkeys for years and can't even seal the deal with my shotgun. There's no way I'd try it with a compound bow. I might consider trying it with a crossbow on an archery only WMA, but not likely.

remember that they can see 270 degrees...::ke:

but seriously, props to you for giving it a shot with a bow. I'm surprised the hens/jake/deer didn't tip him off first. stay with it, you'll get it

Brad C.

Killing a turkey with a bow without a blind is 10 times harder than killing one with a gun. I know. I have killed 3 with a bow. None of them were easy. I'm not much on blinds, but if you use one with a bow it takes away the moving aspect of drawing for they can't see you. This is why bowhunting turkeys is so tough. You can get them into range, but you still have to draw and go undetected. The best thing I can tell you is when your hunting in woods with a bow you need to pick out the last object once when the bird is in range that it goes behind and come to full draw so they can't see you. That's how I killed my last one. Shot it at 14yds.

weekender

you came close and that's how bowhunting goes, you have chosen to try one of the toughest things in bowhunting, the turkey. You will get one but they usually don't come easy. Some folks attach fake ivy to their bow, which to me is just a small blind. There use to be one called "hidemhunter" which attached to the bow, and folded out to make about an 18" square, had a hole in the middle for the arrow to go through. It was suppose to hide your draw but I still got busted trying to draw on a pair of gobblers. Whatever works for you. I will be easier with a blind, but still no piece of cake.
Try a pop up blind till you get a couple under your belt.

emtguy

i killed some with bow and no blind...camo out major and get some leaves from walmart and camo your bow also. set up against big trees and try to have a few big ones he will have to walk behind so you can draw.