PDA

View Full Version : Best Kayak for The Money

HawgHunterMK
04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
im in the market for a kayak looking forward to the exercise and the fishing adventures. Can anyone recommend a kayak? my biggest issue with kayaks has always been back support after about 30 minutes my back starts to kill me can anyone reccomend a kayak for around 400-500$ or less that has good back support and is comfortable for long floats

breampole
04-16-2011, 11:04 PM
you might want to look at a solo canoe. Dicks Sporting Goods has one made by OleTown called a Kaynoe and you can put a very comfortable seat in it. It paddles from the center with either a double blade or a regular canoe paddle. Many prefer it to a Kayak. Cost new is 400-500. Go to Georgia River Fishing Forum and contact Blackwater and he can direct you to posts there showing pics. He has a fold down swivel seat in his. Also the Ultimate which is a Kayak hybrid is supposed to have the most comfortable seat. You see those for sale used on occasion in your price range

ZachYak
04-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Get a used kayak. The Native Watercraft back rests are comfortable for a few months then they get broken in and they're next to worthless. Get a used newer edition tarpon or an Ocean kayak and spend some money on a seat upgrade and you'll be good to go!

Surf to Summit makes top of the line aftermarket seats if you end up in an Ocean Kayak.

crackerdave
04-18-2011, 03:14 PM
$100 or so spent on a sturdy,high-back seat is money well spent."Sturdy," because some seats that aren't will be useless,as ZachYak said.

wgatling
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Get a used boat. Don't rule out canoes too fast. I paddle a Mohawk Probe 12 on whitewater up to class 3 rivers. Because of the saddle and kneeling position, it doesn't put any stress on your back. It does require a little more skill and good looks than paddling a kayak. For flatwater, there are other canoes with different shapes that are designed to go fast and straight.

The Georgia Canoeing Assn has CHEAP kayak classes (http://www.gapaddle.com/canoe-a-kayak-classes.html).

Guys don't need directions and we were born knowing how to paddle, but what you don't know CAN hurt you. A guy died last week on the Chattahoochee on an EASY section. Moving water is different than flat water.