Best Kayak for The Money

HawgHunterMK

im in the market for a kayak looking forward to the exercise and the fishing adventures. Can anyone recommend a kayak? my biggest issue with kayaks has always been back support after about 30 minutes my back starts to kill me can anyone reccomend a kayak for around 400-500$ or less that has good back support and is comfortable for long floats

B

breampole

you might want to look at a solo canoe. Dicks Sporting Goods has one made by OleTown called a Kaynoe and you can put a very comfortable seat in it. It paddles from the center with either a double blade or a regular canoe paddle. Many prefer it to a Kayak. Cost new is 400-500. Go to Georgia River Fishing Forum and contact Blackwater and he can direct you to posts there showing pics. He has a fold down swivel seat in his. Also the Ultimate which is a Kayak hybrid is supposed to have the most comfortable seat. You see those for sale used on occasion in your price range

ZachYak

Get a used kayak. The Native Watercraft back rests are comfortable for a few months then they get broken in and they're next to worthless. Get a used newer edition tarpon or an Ocean kayak and spend some money on a seat upgrade and you'll be good to go!

Surf to Summit makes top of the line aftermarket seats if you end up in an Ocean Kayak.

crackerdave

$100 or so spent on a sturdy,high-back seat is money well spent."Sturdy," because some seats that aren't will be useless,as ZachYak said.

wgatling

Get a used boat. Don't rule out canoes too fast. I paddle a Mohawk Probe 12 on whitewater up to class 3 rivers. Because of the saddle and kneeling position, it doesn't put any stress on your back. It does require a little more skill and good looks than paddling a kayak. For flatwater, there are other canoes with different shapes that are designed to go fast and straight.

The Georgia Canoeing Assn has CHEAP kayak classes.

Guys don't need directions and we were born knowing how to paddle, but what you don't know CAN hurt you. A guy died last week on the Chattahoochee on an EASY section. Moving water is different than flat water.