Steven Hawking

Jranger

Huntinfool

I suppose he will find out whether he's right soon enough, right?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Brilliant man no doubt. I find it hard for some of those minds to dismiss the impossibilities of any existence without some sort of primer or supernatural intervention. Everything has to start somewhere. Whether we have the story right or not I do not believe that the universe just spontaneously came into existence where there was nothing before.

It is mind boggling but there is really no difference that a universe started from absolutely nothing or that a supreme being started out the same way.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I suppose he will find out whether he's right soon enough, right?

He sure will. And like so many others despite promises otherwise, none have been able to confirm an afterlife.

TripleXBullies

"where there WAS nothing"

To say there was, implies the opposite of nothing. It's more like there just wasn't. (PERIOD) Who says there ever was (or wasn't - yeah, double negative) nothing. If that's the case though, then god just sat around talking to himself? Or was (or wasn't) he not either?

HawgJawl

I stated this before on another thread but I believe it is appropriate here. Other than a magician creating the illusion of "something" being poofed into existence from "nothing", we have no other example of this concept in our everyday lives or in nature. Every object we have or can create comes from some other pre-existing matter. So, why do we feel compelled to apply this strange concept to the cosmos?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I stated this before on another thread but I believe it is appropriate here. Other than a magician creating the illusion of "something" being poofed into existence from "nothing", we have no other example of this concept in our everyday lives or in nature. Every object we have or can create comes from some other pre-existing matter. So, why do we feel compelled to apply this strange concept to the cosmos?

Does it all refer back to ONE pre-existing matter,"god"? If nothing had to come from something, something has to come from something so you cannot tell me "god" always was. Like the Cosmos god had to be created and I'm leaning towards man being responsible for that one.

HawgJawl

Does it all refer back to ONE pre-existing matter,"god"? If nothing had to come from something, something has to come from something so you cannot tell me "god" always was. Like the Cosmos god had to be created and I'm leaning towards man being responsible for that one.

I'm referring to all matter (basic elements) in the cosmos always existing in one form or another.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
OK Gotcha. I am making a statement to anyone that says the cosmos, universe, everything..the big bang... has GOT to have started from something. Well something also has to come from something by that line of thinking. If it is said god just always was, then it is not outside the the box to think the cosmos always was also. If the cosmos HAD to been created, then the creator HAD to have been created. if it is good for one it is good for the other.

HawgJawl

OK Gotcha. I am making a statement to anyone that says the cosmos, universe, everything..the big bang... has GOT to have started from something. Well something also has to come from something by that line of thinking. If it is said god just always was, then it is not outside the the box to think the cosmos always was also. If the cosmos HAD to been created, then the creator HAD to have been created. if it is good for one it is good for the other.

I understand. My question is WHY does anyone think that the cosmos HAD to be created from nothing when we have no other example of that concept anywhere else in nature.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
True.

I am along the same thought process with you. If something HAS to be created because it cannot just always be, then the same applies to the creator. He, she, it just cannot always have been.

HawgJawl

CREATE
to bring into being, generate, father, hatch, make, originate, parent, procreate, produce, sire, spawn, etc.

To create does not necessarily require "poofing" into existence all the materials utilized to bring the new thing into existence. Every object man creates comes from something pre-existing.

TripleXBullies

because it's nearly equally hard to think that it always just was. Probably because that's not really an explanation, or a sufficient explanation at least.

I understand. My question is WHY does anyone think that the cosmos HAD to be created from nothing when we have no other example of that concept anywhere else in nature.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Not even a flake on my shoulders...

But to get to the point I made which had nothing to do with religious disdain.... lots of people have promised to try to contact loved ones once they pass on. I know of no one that has been contacted and I know of no one that has come back to tell of an afterlife.

stringmusic

Not even a flake on my shoulders...

But to get to the point I made which had nothing to do with religious disdain.... lots of people have promised to try to contact loved ones once they pass on. I know of no one that has been contacted and I know of no one that has come back to tell of an afterlife.

So because dead people dont talk, your conclusion is there is no afterlife?

Thanatos

I have read several of his books. I have learned a good bit of what I could understand out of them...lol.

BUT! Hawkins is a scientist. I very smart scientist, but I am afraid that he has no use for "trivial" religious thought. In order to obtain the knowledge he has in his fields of work require much dedication and sacrifice. I will not be swayed by a scientist who has spent little or no time dissecting religion. I am glad that he didn't though. If he had we would not have some of the great findings he uncovered.

TripleXBullies

So because dead people dont talk, your conclusion is there is no afterlife?

No proof, no evidence.. so, yes. My great grandad claimed to have seen god after a heart attack.. I have only one memory of him, and I love him.. but I dream too. I can elaborate all day long...