Atheists lottery prayer answered

atlashunter

I guess there really is a God after all.:rolleyes:

pnome

Already made a deal with God on this. I win the lotto and It's down to the river I go. ::;

Here's hoping he's more into positive reinforcement than negative punishment!!! :cheers:

vowell462

Wow. Isnt gambling kinda forbidden though?

stringmusic

There's nothing that Buddha disallows, it's not His place, but He suggests against it.

Right, how is anyone able to reach nothingness while they're worried about the spread on the falcons game?:bounce: Makes sense to me!

BTW, how could it not be the "enlightened one's" place? Buddha could be given no more knowledge according to himself:rolleyes: if he "knows everything" and suggest not doing something, seems to me he put himself in that place.

ambush80

Right, how is anyone able to reach nothingness while they're worried about the spread on the falcons game?:bounce: Makes sense to me!

BTW, how could it not be the "enlightened one's" place? Buddha could be given no more knowledge according to himself:rolleyes: if he "knows everything" and suggest not doing something, seems to me he put himself in that place.

It's a suggestion. He would be the first to admit that His path and mine are different.

JFS

BTW, how could it not be the "enlightened one's" place? Buddha could be given no more knowledge according to himself:rolleyes: if he "knows everything" and suggest not doing something, seems to me he put himself in that place

"Awakened" is a better translation for you.

And didn't you see Kung Fu Panda? There is no secret ingredient.

stringmusic

"Awakened" is a better translation for you.
Isnt that the opposite of where he was trying to get?:huh:

And didn't you see Kung Fu Panda? There is no secret ingredient.
I didnt see it, it looked kinda funny though.:bounce:

stringmusic

Ah, he would be wrong then.

Can you explain? I understand that Gautama had his time of "awakeness", but in the end, it seems his claimed knowledge that was gained during this time lead him to strive for non-existance?

ambush80

Can you explain? I understand that Gautama had his time of "awakeness", but in the end, it seems his claimed knowledge that was gained during this time lead him to strive for non-existance?

More like that loss of "self"; the Ego, you know, that part of you that tells you that you are special and going to live forever, among other things. When you let go of that, supposedly, you can experience the totality of the Universe; hardly a state of unconsciousness.

At least that's how I understand the concept.

Last edited:

stringmusic

More like that loss of "self"; the Ego, you know, that part of you that tells you that you are special and going to live forever among other things. When you let go of that, supposedly, you can experience the totality of the Universe; hardly a state of unconsciousness.

At least that's how I understand the concept.

Doesnt one only understand or experience the totality of the universe or knowledge only during the current life they're living(or try again next time)? The way I currently understand it(which is not very well) after a person has reached that understanding and paid their debt, the next step is Nirvana, or oblivion?

JFS

the next step is Nirvana, or oblivion?

A better translation of Nirvana might be extinguishment. Once you understand the false perception of ego, both the misperception and the suffering it causes fall away. Having awakened to these truths does not preclude one from sharing knowledge or otherwise participating in society, but it doesn't imply any omnipotence or supernatural knowledge either.