Baptists?

TripleXBullies

I was Southern baptist for the first ~20 years of my life. With a couple of years where I went to a non-denominational church. I was because my parents were/are. My mom was because her parents were... Not really sure why my dad was. His father was Jewish from Germany and his mother was a native Bolivian... Once when we moved when I was younger, our neighbors asked us to visit their Georgia baptist church. I recall my parents really disliking it, but I don't know why. I had about 2 years in non-denominational. To me, it felt pretty much the same other than there were several pastors, not just one. Maybe most people dressed a little more casual, but not much. Neither were super dressy.

I've seen on this forum negative connotations to baptist. Nothing crazily outrageous or mean, just negative. I'm not sure, but I think I saw believers also making negative comments toward it.

I'm not looking for bashing to start happening, but what's the deal? I didn't really think this was something I could easily google.

applejuice

Baptist churches offend people because they tend to yell at you. Southern Baptist have this "god is angry" preaching , which is different from other sects.
I grew up in Southern Baptist churches and Ive seen speaking in tounges along with other craziness in church. Its an in your face preaching session and Baptist are a little more extreme with their beliefs than others.

I chose to go with my father to catholic church sometimes, instead of my mom which is baptist. 2 totally different experiences. Its not my cup of tea, but there arent many empty seats in the mega-baptist church my mom goes to.
You can't sleep in a baptist sermon, too much racket going on.

centerpin fan

Southern Baptists are the biggest Protestant denomination in the country. A Southern Baptist church is generally the biggest church in any town. Being the biggest, they're often the first target of their opponents.

Also, certain high profile Baptists (Jerry Falwell, Franklin Graham, the Westboro Baptist Church) have delved into political/cultural issues that have made the Baptist name even more prominent.

For the record, I think Falwell and Graham have nothing in common with the WBC gang apart from the name "Baptist".

TripleXBullies

I am a living example that I could sleep... and so is my grandma :)

I've been to several catholic weddings and to one conformation... Definitely big differences...

Baptist churches offend people because they tend to yell at you. Southern Baptist have this "god is angry" preaching , which is different from other sects.
I grew up in Southern Baptist churches and Ive seen speaking in tounges along with other craziness in church. Its an in your face preaching session and Baptist are a little more extreme with their beliefs than others.

I chose to go with my father to catholic church sometimes, instead of my mom which is baptist. 2 totally different experiences. Its not my cup of tea, but there arent many empty seats in the mega-baptist church my mom goes to.
You can't sleep in a baptist sermon, too much racket going on.

centerpin fan

I grew up in Southern Baptist churches and Ive seen speaking in tounges along with other craziness in church.

Southern Baptists are not charismatic. If you saw speaking in tongues in an SB church, that's very unusual.

centerpin fan

Baptist churches offend people because they tend to yell at you. Southern Baptist have this "god is angry" preaching ,

Not all Baptists are like that. Charles Stanley is one prominent example. I even thought Falwell was pretty mild compared to some.

TripleXBullies

Maybe the ones I went to were less extreme. There was some yelling when the pastor was trying to make a point I guess. No angry talk or tongues though.. I don't think. As far as comparing to other sects of christianity, I don't have a lot to compare it to from my own experience.

QUOTE]

centerpin fan

My parents were big on CS.. so that must have been their style.

His conversational style dominates the airwaves, and it's not just Baptists like Stanley and Jack Graham. D. James Kennedy (Presbyterian) was the same as is Joel Osteen (Charismatic.)

There are some "fire and brimstone" guys still left. Rod Parsley and John Hagee (both Charismatics) are good examples.

centerpin fan

that's what I thought.. although my sister did outside of church... creepy..

Yeah, it breaks out in certain SBC churches and can often lead to a church split. If you Google "Southern Baptist Convention glossolalia" (or something similar), you can read more.

TripleXBullies

So what is CS? Hardcore, or not so much?

His conversational style dominates the airwaves, and it's not just Baptists like Stanley and Jack Graham. D. James Kennedy (Presbyterian) was the same as is Joel Osteen (Charismatic.)

There are some "fire and brimstone" guys still left. Rod Parsley and John Hagee (both Charismatics) are good examples.

centerpin fan

I guess it depends on how you define "hardcore". Stanley's beliefs are pretty traditional. I don't think he'd waver on any of the core Baptist beliefs. He was the president of the SBC, after all. You don't achieve that rank by being on the fringes. His style, however, is very mild and non-threatening.

1gr8bldr

Baptist churches vary so much. From one extreme to another. Their main "core doctrine" is what makes them baptist. Not how wild or dead they act.

JFS

I think on average they are more fundamentalist than many other mainline protestant denominations. :crazy:

stringmusic

I think on average they are more fundamentalist than many other mainline protestant denominations. :crazy:

A decent post and you had to go and dumb it up with a smilie.

JFS

Describe what you mean by fundamentalist, please?

Maybe too colloquial, but I meant mostly with respect to beliefs the bible is literal and inerrant. That may be the "official" doctrine of many denominations, but in practice it seems to me some of the others are more liberal and open to individual and modern interpretations.

1gr8bldr

And what is that???
I'm trying to recall how they differ say from lutherns or presby's. It has much to do with their founders. Unlike Methodists, who govern their body closely, training their teachers in "methodology", baptist will let just about anyone teach or preach. Most don't have a clue, just make up stuff as they go along. Recently I attended a baptist church and the preacher spent the whole time bending the scriptures to say that Christians are not allowed to "co-sign" on loans. What a mess.

Latest posts