The mind is a terrible thing

As a former believer I had a nagging question that came to me when my brain fully developed from adolescence. If god is all knowing, that being the past, present and future. What is the point in it all ? Its like watching a movie you've already seen.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The only things he was missing was a desire to be praised and worshiped, so he created beings for that sole purpose.

gtparts

As a former believer I had a nagging question that came to me when my brain fully developed from adolescence. If god is all knowing, that being the past, present and future. What is the point in it all ? Its like watching a movie you've already seen.

From whose perspective?

Huntinfool

Except, that YOU haven't already seen it.

If you insist on viewing it like that, then it's really more like being a character in a movie that the director has already made. But instead of a script, he's given you guidelines to follow as you improv your lines.

However, instead of a paycheck, your compensation is either really really bad or really really great. It all depends on how well you follow the guidelines and how committed you are to the director.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Except, that YOU haven't already seen it.

If you insist on viewing it like that, then it's really more like being a character in a movie that the director has already made. But instead of a script, he's given you guidelines to follow as you improv your lines.

However, instead of a paycheck, your compensation is either really really bad or really really great. It all depends on how well you follow the guidelines and how committed you are to the director.

Amusement for God. Having never been created we would not have ever had the need to know how it turns out.

stringmusic

Amusement for God. Having never been created we would not have ever had the need to know how it turns out.

Not ever existing, now that would have been neat!.......:crazy:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
We are an ant farm experiment. Put us together, let a small group know the rules, and sit back and see what happens.

If god created us out of a desire to be praised and worshiped, being all knowing, he would have already known he would be praised and worshiped. Doing something knowing the outcome already seems below an entity of such power.

1gr8bldr

Let's simplify this as much as possible in hopes to see a picture. We were created to live like Adam. Imagine the life he was banished from. The goal is that when we are born again into the "second Adam", we will oneday enjoy this "relationship in paradise'

realbowhunter

i tellyou what why dont you skate through life and ask god when you stand before him and tell him that this is all stupid and c where it gets ya you thinkin too deep let it go and make the best of all of it

jason4445

There are two particular instances in the Bible that shows that God is not all knowing, although indeed knows more than us, and also that God made at least one mistake.

In Genesis God make light, and oceans and such and saw that it was good. Seems to me that if God was all knowing at the time he would have known it was good before he created it - he would not have to seen it was good to know it was good.

The second one is the flood where afterwards God decided he would never kill man in that fashion again. Obviously God did not know before hand that killing by a flood was a bad thing until after he did it and also it seems by admitting he would not do something again God admitted to making a mistake. Another thing in the Noah story that makes one wonder about God being all knowing is he first ordered Noah to take all animals two by two, and then changed his mind and told Noah to take the clean animals seven by five and the unclean two by two. Then Noah ignored this and took the animals two by two. If God is all knowing why did he order one thing and change his mind later, and then not get annoyed at the most perfect man on earth at the time for ignoring his order.

Huntinfool

in genesis god make light, and oceans and such and saw that it was good. Seems to me that if god was all knowing at the time he would have known it was good before he created it - he would not have to seen it was good to know it was good.

The second one is the flood where afterwards god decided he would never kill man in that fashion again. Obviously god did not know before hand that killing by a flood was a bad thing until after he did it and also it seems by admitting he would not do something again god admitted to making a mistake. Another thing in the noah story that makes one wonder about god being all knowing is he first ordered noah to take all animals two by two, and then changed his mind and told noah to take the clean animals seven by five and the unclean two by two. Then noah ignored this and took the animals two by two. If god is all knowing why did he order one thing and change his mind later, and then not get annoyed at the most perfect man on earth at the time for ignoring his order.

....riiiiiiiiiggggghhhhht.

pbradley

and God didn't know if Abraham would actually try to kill Isaac or not....

God knew, but maybe Abraham didn't. Maybe Abraham needed the experience that comes from that event that built a closer relationship with God through complete faith and trust in God. We can only surmise what Abraham learned about himself from the experience.

tween_the_banks

Let Abraham try it in today's times and he'll be under the prison.
If a God were to tell me to kill my daughter, I'd look up, spit in the air, and enjoy my time on earth with my daughter free of religion.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, I respect religious people and their views.
But when gods go to telling people to kill their children, I tend to load my guns and hide mine...
The Abraham story really and always has bothered me. Even as a kid when I was brought up in church.

Huntinfool

Let Abraham try it in today's times and he'll be under the prison.
If a God were to tell me to kill my daughter, I'd look up, spit in the air, and enjoy my time on earth with my daughter free of religion.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, I respect religious people and their views.
But when gods go to telling people to kill their children, I tend to load my guns and hide mine...
The Abraham story really and always has bothered me. Even as a kid when I was brought up in church.

I guess you missed the whole "provision" and "mercy" part of that story, huh?

You know he didn't actually kill his son....right?

BANDERSNATCH

or Abraham's prophecy that "God would provide HIMSELF a lamb" (Christ)

One of many prophecies about Christ.

Nope...no problem with the Abraham story here! Attaboy, Abraham!