3 for 4 tracking on the weekend

wildlands

We have been having a good run tracking this weekend. Started Friday morning with a warm up track 4 hrs old about 150 yards on a small deer. Not very hard but a good practice run.
Then started tracking on another deer at 12:00p.m. Baby worked really good . We had to do several restarts on the last blood we found but she finally setteled down and found the first wound bed, gut shot. We tracked on thru some woods across several woods roads and across a field. I did not see any blood and thought Baby was off the trail so I started her working the field edges, she worked along a short while, stop raised her head, turned around and went to were we crossed the field. When she crossed this time the hunter spotted a speck of blood on the side of a log. We jumped the deer around 2:15 about 3/4 of a mile from were it was shot. We tracked on finding some more blood then it stoped again. We worked down a road, thru a field and then across a wood lot. When we reached the road on the other side Baby turned and went down it into another field. When she got to the field she started working with her head up searching all around. I decided to take her back to the wound bed were we had jumped the deer and restart. She worked the same track except when she got to the road she crossed. We bumped the deer again but this time it only went about 40 yards and laid down. The hunter was able to get another shot off and put the deer down. It was a large 9 pointer with a kicker and will probably score around 130B&C before deductions. The track was probably a total of a mile to a mile and a 1/4 long.
Congradulations to Steve Barron of Spalding Co. on a quality deer.
Third track of the night was at 6 p.m. the deer had been shot around 11:00 that morning. The shot was a sharp quartering away shot, almost a Texas heart shot from the way he explained it to me. We started were the deer was shot even though the hunter had already tracked out about 200 yards. Baby worked his line perfectly crossing over each piece of flaging tape. When she got to the end of their line she worked out another 200 yards only finding one more spot to indicate we were still on track. We eventually pulled her off after an hour of no indicatiion of the deer. The hunter was going back the next morning and look for the deer along a creek that was out in front of were we stoped.
The track for yesterday the 27th was in the rain. The deer had been shot on Friday evening late. The hunter searched all morning for the deer until he finally jumped it around 1 p.m. The deer had problems getting up and was stumbling. He called wanting me to come out before the rain. I did not make it out of my driveway before it started to rain. It rained very hard for 30 minutes then drizzeled the rest of the time we were tracking. We started tracking were the deer crossed a creek. We only had to go about 200-250 yards and we jumped the deer again. This time he had no problems getting up or running. We tracked on for another 1/2 mile even crossing paths with 2 does, Baby worked right across their path like it was not there. We never did catch up to the deer again. We only found 1 more drop of blood. The hunter and I both agreed that the deer was probably stiff from were he had been shot and layed up all night, thus the problems getting up. He had shot for the front shoulder. When we jumped it while tracking, it had probably gotten some of its mobility back. We decided that the deer would probably survive and called it. The hunter was happy and I was very happy with how Baby worked in the rain. This deer even though not recovered was a succesful track as far as I am concerned since we did visually see how the deer was acting and moving.

Attachments

• Steve Buck 0071 Web.jpg
    Steve Buck 0071 Web.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 366
  • Steve Buck 0031 web.jpg
    Steve Buck 0031 web.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 299

Glenn

Good Deal Wildands!

Sounds like you have a good tracker on your hands.

I got my beagle pup last wednesday and she has the nose to the ground everywhere we go. I can't wait to start putting her on some blood...

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Fine job's, .... Baby and Wildlands

Thanks for keeping us up to date Wildlands, great story :clap:

leo

Meriwether Mike

Nice looking deer. Hope them guys bought you and your dog a steak. :bounce: