Canon 100-400 IS?

Topwater

What are you folks using for a zoom lens? I'm using a Canon 100-400 IS now. I purchased it years ago for wildlife photo's. I have noticed at full focal length 400mm
my images are soft. I was using a tripod and also a shutter release cable. These birds were about 75 yards away. I spent an hour photographing some Herons and Egrets yesterday; most of my shots were soft:huh: Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• Heron 1 GON 004.jpg
    Heron 1 GON 004.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 125
  • GON 2 IMG_6784.jpg
    GON 2 IMG_6784.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Allen17

Every lens has a sweet spot where it is at its sharpest. My 70-200 2.8IS looks best at f8. Most of the time though, I have to shoot at f2.8. What are the shoot details on the above?

cornpile

How long have you had the 50D ? I have it and mostly shoot it coupled with the 70-200 f4.This camera is very sensitive to movement........

Topwater

How long have you had the 50D ? I have it and mostly shoot it coupled with the 70-200 f4.This camera is very sensitive to movement........
About 7 months. All the photo's I have posted since about last January have been with the 50D. I was using a tripod yesterday but had it fully extended, so perhaps I was getting some slight movement during the shutter release. I tried several different settings (shutter, aperature...) I may try the 100-400 on a different camera body. Thanks Cornpile.

cornpile

The 50D will give you fits with any lens.Try this,if you have your camera handy.Put it at iso 100,f 8 and match your shutter with the light meter one or two clicks to the right.Use manual mode.Use your tripod or lay your camera on something so its dead still.Pick out something at 75yds, shoot it at full zoom.Post it up.

Topwater

The 50D will give you fits with any lens.Try this,if you have your camera handy.Put it at iso 100,f 8 and match your shutter with the light meter one or two clicks to the right.Use manual mode.Use your tripod or lay your camera on something so its dead still.Pick out something at 75yds, shoot it at full zoom.Post it up.
I will give it a try...thanks again.

Hoss

If you can, make your subject for this test shoot about the same size as the birds.

Hoss

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Some good advice so far, all I can add is that sometimes the size (stability) of your tripod can be a factor with a heavy lens if it is not mounted at a good balance point specially if there is any wind.

Good luck