Viewfinder pics look great but then ....

Foxhunter

I got a Canon SX30 IS camera for my birthday this year. It replaced my Nikon P80. I know enough about photography to know that Canon produces great products and that this camera is capable of taking really awesome photos. I read all of the reviews before I got it and they were all good. That being said, my photos look gorgeous on the viewfinder and they look like crap (sometimes) when I download them to my computer. Can someome please explain this phenomenon?
Thanks so much!

cre8foru

Well Im not sure but sometimes when I take a photo it looks good on my viewfinder because it is small and then when I zoom in on the viewfinder I see its out of focus or not as good as I thought. Are you doing this when you shoot the photo? Also I shoot with a telephoto lens most of the time and handheld. A slow shutter speed is usually my problem.

Foxhunter

I'm not sure. It just seems like the quality isn't quite as good as my Nikon. I have a lot to learn! Thanks :)

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
What cre8foru said, and .... because of my "old trifocal eyes", and my inability to see good (details) on my viewfinders, often even with the zoom, I have to try and get multiple shots of each pic, then evaluate them later on my computer.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
yep, my ratio of keepers to " i think they are keepers" is often waaaaaayyyy off. maybe post a few examples and the exif data. i shoot nikon but have a canon at work ( don't tell drb) that i like as well.

Hoss

Posting some of the photos so folks can have a look at the EXIF data may help ID the problem.
I'm with others in that most of mine end up or should end up in the trashcan.

Hoss

rip18

What they all said...

Couple of quick questions/suggestions...

Are you talking about looking good in the viewfinder or on the LCD screen on the back?

If it is the viewfinder, it MIGHT be that the diopter for the viewfinder needs adjusting. If the LCD, then it's something else.

How do the images look "bad" when they are downloaded?

Are they soft/fuzzy? Are the colors not right? Are they too dark/too light?

If you post a couple of examples (and leave the EXIF data attached or put it in the post), I bet you will get some more concrete suggestions for a fix.

Good luck!

Foxhunter

The LCD screen on the back. I'm really picky, they aren't fuzzy, they just don't look as nice as the nikon pics. Maybe it's the contrast and color. The two camera models I'm comparing (Nikon P80 and Canon SX30 IS) are in the same class so it's not that one is way better than the other. I really, really, really, want to like this camera. lol. That's a good idea though, I'll post a pic that should have been good according to the lcd screen, along with the exif data. Thanks for everyone's feedback :)

Latest posts