Adobe Lightroom

Joker

Is anyone using Adobe Lightroom?
If so what do you think about it, pros and cons?

Hoss

We've got a few folks who use it. I'm sure they'll give you some information.

Hoss

Crickett

Little Lady
I use Elements but I want to upgrade to Lightroom. You can download a free trial from Adobe's website.

rip18

There are folks who use it a lot more than me. I tend to use a combination of Breeze Browser, Adobe RAW Converter, and Photoshop just because that's the workflow I'm familiar with.

Lightroom allows you to do most optimization on a group of images at once (which can be a real time saver if you have several images taken under very similar conditions). It also lets you edit the captions, etc. (metadata) very easily.

It will do most of the basics that Photoshop will do WITHOUT altering the basic data in the file. But there are some manipulative things that Lightroom won't do that Photoshop will do.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I purchased lightroom and tried it, while it seemed to be a good program, I just could not get comfortable with it ...

I do not get real deep into my PS elements and found that it fits what editing/enhancment that I do better that lightroom did.

BriarPatch99

Lightroom allows you to do most optimization on a group of images at once (which can be a real time saver if you have several images taken under very similar conditions). It also lets you edit the captions, etc. (metadata) very easily.

It will do most of the basics that Photoshop will do WITHOUT altering the basic data in the file. But there are some manipulative things that Lightroom won't do that Photoshop will do.

^^^
This

Jimmy K

xs5875

Banned
I use lightroom 3. It is a great and powerful tool, just takes a while to get to know it. There are quick fixes such as the user create-able presets that throw a fast PP on an image and there are alot of things that can be done to an image one at a time...its best to take a class, read a book, or hey, your on a computer! Go to youtube..tons of video tutorials there....

BeastieDawg

Lightroom is a program I use everyday but its best used with RAW format images. The nice thing is its not destructive to your images the bad thing is its kind of slow. Its a much more user friendly program than big brother Photoshop. LR is designed for Photography where PS is a graphic arts program that can be very very detailed.

jason308

Think of Lightroom as workflow software-for extensive editing and retouching, Photoshop has the upper hand. For batch processing and tweaking white balance, exposure, sharpening, exporting jpegs for proofs/web images etc. Lightroom is the way to go (for me). Editing metadata is also a breeze as Robert mentioned. As far as speed goes, keeping your catalog optimized goes a long way. If something needs extensive work its time to open up Photoshop. If you're a Mac user, Aperture is a good platform as well and tends to run a touch faster overall. There will be a learning curve with ANY of them. Best of luck.