Duck calls

Big A

I would really like to get a new duck call but I don't know much about what's out there. The call I have now is a single reed from hunter's specialty. It is okay but the reed tends to stick and as ya'll know that really messes up calling. Lets hear it single reed or double? One brand better than another?
Thanks
Big A

Nitro

Banned
How much do you want to spend?

With the few ducks we have in GA the HS call should be enough.....

My avatar is one I use. PM me for details.

As said, not much duck hunting in GA where a premium call is needed (i.e., not many mallards). I duck hunt ALOT in MS delta region & use Echo calls from Rick Dunn, an outstanding caller (world champ). There are a number of quality calls & you can spend a lot of money. I have woods calls, open water calls, etc, etc made from wood (exotics), acrylic (most reliable I think) & plastics. I'm not much of a fan of the mass market calls (like HS & others) but I do carry several inexpensive calls from Haydel for wood ducks, pintails, teal, snow geese, specks & Canadas in addition to my main mallard calls from Echo. Cabelas has a good selection, as does Wing Supply via the web.

Big A

thank ya'll for the responses I just wanted to get feel for what people were using. I have been duck hunting for the past 5 years and only recently got into calling. I just want a call where the reed won't stick...

LKennamer

Start with a good acrylic

Granddaddy's right, acrylic is probably the most reliable. I have several Haydel acrylics that sound as good as you'll ever need for most situations (esp. in GA) and they're water impervious to boot! There are a number of good mallard calls, though. As far as reeds sticking...they will all do that if they get wet enough (or cold enough!). I like to have a backup, just in case. Of course, if my next trip to the delta is anything like last year, it won't matter if I make duck calls or just bang pots and pans together!

Big A

I have heard that the huntin' the last few years out that way hasn't been the best. One of these days after school is all done I will make a trip out there. I hope that it is worth it though.

I hunted near Tunica MS in the delta on opening day & next. Four hunters in flooded rice fields killed 46 ducks & one Ross goose over the two days. Mallards, teal, wigeon, gadwall & shovers. Great hunts considering what little cold weather there has been. The big secret (& many in MS would like to keep it that way) is that the MS portion of the delta is consistently holding more ducks than AR (over the last several years), esp. the eastern portion of the delta generally between Crowder MS (on the north) & Greenwood MS on the south. The problem with that area is that it has few public areas to hunt but two good ones, O'Keefe & the nearby state WMA. Very productive if you can hunt during the week.

NO LIMIT

Banned
rich n tone is a great call and they also have great customer support. the call is not cheap but you will not have to buy another one!

Big A

granddaddy thanks for the info...hopefully some day in the future (I hope sooner than later) I can use that knowledge.

slimbo

Ive got several different calls, but monday I was in arkansas in a walmart and wanted to spend money. I bought an "original wench" by primos just because Ive always heard of it. Tuesday, wednesday, and thursday it worked well calling birds in close and its only 14.95. For a cheap call I would recomend it to anybody. :bounce:

beretta

When I started duck hunting in South Carolina I used a Haydel's DRS-88 Cajun squeal. It's an easy blowing & controllable call. It's a double reed design. If you get confident with your calling and want more range, pitch & volume. Check out Marc Ackerman of Swampthing Mallard calls. He is a talented caller & call maker.http://www.swampthingmallardcalls.com/marc/indexx.html

Good luck, and say no to skybusting. Shoot in the lips!!!!!!!!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I really do calling is over rated :shoot:

Absolutely right. A world champ can't make ducks land where they don't want. I remember hunting as a teenager in some Ark. green timber when every mallard I called with my $5 Mallardtone call came in like it was home & I thought I was the greatest caller since Chick Major. Only when ducks were less numerous & not coming to my expensive Chick Major call did I begin to realize how little calling had to do with my duck hunting success. Kind of like my increasing belief that less is better when it comes to calling turkey too.

LKennamer

Amen, brother!

Granddaddy said:
Only when ducks were less numerous & not coming to my expensive Chick Major call did I begin to realize how little calling had to do with my duck hunting success. Kind of like my increasing belief that less is better when it comes to calling turkey too.

Very true in both cases!

BigA, just like anything in life, you generally get what you pay for. I have several calls that cross the price spectrum including a swampthing that was mentioned here which is my favorite.

However, I also own a couple polycarb calls which are cheaper than acrylic. I really like the Primos yo sista for around 20 bucks. Probably one of the best mass produced calls that I have ever heard.

Regardless of your decision, I would expect it would be about the same as your picking up a trombone and trying to play it without instruction. So, when you decide to pick up a call, get yourself a good instructional tape or video to help you get the basics down on how to use one. Otherwise, you just might scare off more than you call in.

Good luck

Big A

Thanks ya'll. I have been calling ducks for about three years now with great success. I was just wondering if someone out there had a call that was a little more reliable than the HS I have now. I have all the basic calls down but now I am wanting to take the next step and be a little more diverse in my calling tones. Just wondering if there was one brand in particular that most people liked. But like everything in life different people prefer different sounds. The only thing I don't have is a double reed call and was wondering what the sound difference was like?