Panamanian Golden Frog II

rip18

Three years to the month later, I took another shot of these guys at the zoo. (older post here: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=218962) GARanger1403 posted one a while back as well.

Anyway, here's one of those rare amphibians.

Olympus FE370, 6mm, f/5.6, 1/30th second, ISO 160, fill flash, handheld, through glass, slight crop.

Attachments

• 7280198goldenfrogwebgon.jpg
    7280198goldenfrogwebgon.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 110

wvdawg

Staff member
Cool spotted frog!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
It is actually a "toad." ::ke: Believe it or not, I actually saw these in the wild back in the late 80's in the mountains in north Panama. I am not sure if any are left in the wild now though. COOL pics.

quinn

Cool shot of him too!crazy colors he's sporting around!

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Beautiful capture Rip, fine detail ....

There you go again ........... proving that it is not necessarily the equipment used, but the person using the equipment, by using a pocket Point and Shoot camera in difficult conditions, to get awesome pics......:clap:

rip18

Thanks, y'all.

It is actually a "toad." ::ke: Believe it or not, I actually saw these in the wild back in the late 80's in the mountains in north Panama. I am not sure if any are left in the wild now though. COOL pics.

Now, dawg2, if you had followed the link to my first post about this species, you'd have seen that I mentioned that it was "really a toad" - "The frogs (really a toad) were last seen in the wild in 2007. They are native to the wet forests of Panama, and have been hit hard by habitat conversion and a fungal disease. There are several captive breeding populations that are hoped to be able to be used to reintroduce the species back into the wild at some point. This is one of the ones at the North Carolina Zoo.":cheers::D

It would be so cool to see this species in the wild; you were blessed, especially with the pressures to come on this critter.