Building a house (pricing)

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
The wife and I have been going nuts trying to find a place we agree on. We are thinking of trying to just build but are curious as to what expect to pay for this. We are wanting about 3,000 sq ft and a basement. Also how would you recomend going about it, as far as going through one of those companies that have lot full of de,o homes or try and subcontract everything yourself.

jonkayak

Best bet would be to get some blue prints for a house you and the wife agree on and then start taking bids. Make sure to get references from builders and call them, then go and see the work they do and be sure to see several example not just one or two. Most builders talk a great game but only 1/100 are actually worth doing business with. Once you decide on a builder get everything and I mean everything in writing. Know who pays for what, what lights are includes, appliances, flooring, siding, trim levels, ext... the list goes on for ever. If its not in the contract and you make a change have the parameter for that in there as well. Some builders will charge for delays and any change will normally cost more money so have that figured out before you begin and have it in writing.

Or you can find a contractor that will do it for "cost plus." For example if it cost $200,000 to build then the builder would be paid 7-15% ($14,000 - $30,000) for his services. I like this system the as you are responsible for paying the bills as they come in and you know what it cost, and you are always in control to some extent but there are draw backs to doing this way as well.

golffreak

I've built three at cost plus. I wouldn't do it any other way. But, you need to have time to dedicate to it.

Luke0927

Did this last year...was worth it end the end but awful stress full, saved a lot of money and got exactly what we wanted 3,000 sqft ranch 4 side brick (but no basement have to do a nice shop eventually)

A ranch is going to cost you a little more unless you meant 3k with the basement? Thats a good bit of space stretched under 1 roof and not stacked but we have young kids and plan on living here for long time and don't want to walk up stairs when I'm old. What we did was found the plans we wanted, then we went and talked to several of the "big" builders and got their price to build it and looked at some of there current plans cause they can tell you exactly what they get to build those.

I decided I could save a lot of money and be my own G.C.

My grandpa was a retired builder so I decided to let him help I paid him to frame it and a little extra to help in the begining with laying it out, getting the foundation etc...once he had it dried in I sub it out, doing the electrical with my FIL, and some things myself.

For what those "big" builders wanted it at the price I wanted to spend it would have been hardi siding, a certain amount of solid surface counter top etc little hardwood etc.....we were able to do all hardwood 5" hand scrap, all granite in kitchen and master bath, all baths tiled, tiled shower, 4 sides brick 2x6 framing, upgrade insulation, quality HVAC, concrete porches. Basically nothing we will never really need to upgrade on in the future.

I had a full time job and 2 small kids an like i said god it was a stressful year but if you have the time and know trustable people you can save a lot of money. Not saying those big builder cant do it and do it right and I can see now they deserve it its a lot to deal with....Also had a couple reputable guys that would do the G.C. for cost plus 10% but if you know good folks you can do it yourself, Luckily I knew a lot of the folks that I used as subs and delt with all local folks.

PM me if I might can help with any questions or numbers.

Last edited:

SGaither

I would also echo what others have said and find a plan that you and your wife can agree on. Once you have that, I suggest contacting Social Circle Ace Hardware at 770-464-3354 and they will sit down with you and provide a materials list, cost sheet and a few names of reputable GC's and subs. They provide a very detailed service for no cost and they have all building materials needed at very low cost. They are cheaper than the big box and specialty stores. They are not your average, run-of-the-mill Ace Hardware stores.

Good luck and have fun.

skiff23

From what I see in the business, 99 out of 100 homeowners who try to be their own GC wind up spending alot more money and not getting what they expect. It is better to find a good builder with references and let them do it. Most builders will either do it for a set price or cost plus. I will say , you get what you pay for. Most of the builders should be in a close 10% of each other. THe ones way low, you dont want them to build you a dog house, the ones way high have a big ego or don t need the work. Price several and make them spec the house all the same with ALL allowances. Allowances can be a big part of the price if not figured in.
I do it everyday and see from one extreme to another.
Just make sure you are pricing apples to apples.

huntmore

With house prices like they are now you will most likely get one already built cheaper than having one built. That is unless you do alot of the work yourself. Being your own Gc can be a bit ruff. Alot of people end up with marriage problems because of it.
If you have never done construction before you will first need to learn the ends and outs or you may wind up spending to much and wasting some.
Cost plus is the best way if you ask me. It lets you see and control what you spend. A good Gc will not mind doing it this way. Just remember he can't do it for free 10% is on the low end and 15% is on the high end for doing this work.
3000 on a basment is a giant house.

jonkayak

2x on the Social Circle Ace Hardware. I have seen them deliver in Blueridge and about everywhere else across Ga. They seem to do a good job.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Thanks for all the info everyone. I am manly curious what to expect as for price/sf last I was told was somewhere around $60/SF. I know it varies a good bit depending on what options you go with, but just want an idea.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for all the info everyone. I am manly curious what to expect as for price/sf last I was told was somewhere around $60/SF. I know it varies a good bit depending on what options you go with, but just want an idea.

$100/sq ft is the going rate these days for new residential construction. We are doing a remodel/addition on our house right now. We will come in at $125/sq ft and feel lucky.

Fletch_W

Banned
mattech, forgive me if I'm confusing you with someone else, but you've been through more than a handful of shady real estate deals that left you in the hole.

The absolute best thing to do is what another person said.... buy already built for pennies on the dollar.

If there is a finance problem with one lender, there will be finance problems with ALL lenders. There is no such thing as "One lender will not do it, but another will". Not in residential purchasing, anyway. They brand themselves as this and that, differentiate themselves, but they are all brands of the same product.

Redbow

I would check with the banks in my area and see what they have with foreclosures. I have heard of some folks saving thousands of dollars on homes that the bank just wanted to get rid of...

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
mattech, forgive me if I'm confusing you with someone else, but you've been through more than a handful of shady real estate deals that left you in the hole.

The absolute best thing to do is what another person said.... buy already built for pennies on the dollar.

If there is a finance problem with one lender, there will be finance problems with ALL lenders. There is no such thing as "One lender will not do it, but another will". Not in residential purchasing, anyway. They brand themselves as this and that, differentiate themselves, but they are all brands of the same product.

Definatley confused me with someone else, I still live in the first home I purchased, and never bought anything else. As for lenders, I have gotten pre approved already and am not having any issues that. The main issue is trying to find a house we like. I think we rushed into our current home so much we bought small and cheap, and want to get something will be happy with for atleast til our kids our grown and gone, 15-20 years.

skiff23

You wont get much house for $60 per ft.For a decent home with traditional finishings , it will run $ 85 to 95 per sq ft here.

1gr8bldr

For reference.[I should note that different locations may vary] I can build a conservative home [siding, fiberglass tubs,etc] for about $60 per ft. A high end home [hardwood, ceramic, granite countertops, brick, etc for about $68. But I don't have an office or payroll. I'm in NC so I'm offering advice, not trying to get the job. Doing it yourself can be overwhelming. Unless you have basic knowledge of the process, don't do it. I tell people that I can save them much more than the 6% I charge. The reason is that I know everyone in the business. Lumber company's, for example will sell to me cheaper than you because of repeat business. Yours is a one shot deal and they will gamble that you don't shop for pricing. Another thing, if you let someone give you pricing on anything, make sure it's apples to apples. I could go on and on. PM me if you like,I'll give you my phone #. I'll be glad to tell answer any questions you have.

Nuttin Better

You will find these companies that advertise, This House Built on Your Land $59.00 per square foot. Do not get caught up in that trap. That price does not include grading, driveways, permits, water supply or septic systems. It is hard to set a square foot price because of so many different options available. Like vinyl siding over brick, post form countertops over granite, vinyl floors over tile, etc.

I would recommend finding a plan that you like, find a General Contractor give you a budget price based on your finish choices and then hiring the contractor to build the house at the cost plus option. That way you control how the money is spent and you control changes and upgrades during the processs.

You may find out that if you try to be your own General Contractor that it may cost you more in the long run. Sub Contractors that work for General contractors usually give them a better price than they do an indivual. They know that they will be doing more work for the General Contractor than that one job where with an indivual it will be that one job only.

PM me if you would like some information on a good General Contractor. I are one. State Licensed and Insured.

Luke0927

Doing mine myself I've got around $80 sqft. Would have been up around $100 having a GC handle it. Like said you can buy a better deal but if you have land or want exactly what you want build it but like others said if you don't have a good knowledge probably better to have someone handle for you I'm young but luckily grew up working construction in the summers so knew the process. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

golffreak

I built the one we are in now as the GC. Wound up with a 3100 SF house with all the trimmings for about the price of a 2400 SF house.

Again, if your life is too busy now and you feel like there is not enough time in the day to get everything done...do not do this!!!

funderburkjason

You wont get much house for $60 per ft.For a decent home with traditional finishings , it will run $ 85 to 95 per sq ft here.

Thats about right. You might can get the bare minimum for $60 per ft. If you want custom cabinets, granite tops, hardwood, ceramic tile, hardy plank or brick expect a minimum of $80 per ft.