Humble Beginnings

dmedd

The trip to Raleigh's shop a couple of weeks ago really inspired me. I have been wanting to get into building steel knives for a while now. Here's my first contribution to the world of knife making. (steel knives anyway) Ya'll try not to laugh too hard at my efforts. :D

The handle is elk antler that I heated with a torch and then polished. The blade is 440 stainless with brass guard. I also made the sheath from scratch. It's supposed to be dark brown, but it looks black. I hope to be able to look back real soon and see some major improvements.

Oh yeah...the blade is a blank. I did not cut it out myself, but I will have the capabilities soon. However, I did do the filework. :D

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

tedsknives

Great job on the first. Now you are hooked.

CAL

Looks really good to me,never would have known it was ya first if ya hadn't told on ya self.

wvdawg

Staff member
Oh my! Now I have to keep an eye on another maker's work!
That looks fantastic David - looks like Raleigh schooled you well!

bg7m

That's very good. The first knife I made didn't look half as good as that one.

dmedd

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Ya'll really know how to make a fellow feel good. Ted, you are right my friend. I am hooked. Dennis, maybe I'll be able to add to your collection one day. Raleigh, I am looking forward to learning more as soon as I can get back up there. :cheers:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
:cool: Very nice start!!

dmedd

Thanks guys, I will keep this one for future reference.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member

dmedd

I can't wait to see it Raleigh.

sharpeblades

I gave it to my dad 40+ years ago and when he passed away several years ago my sister found it and gave it back to me .I'll dig it out a get some pictures

Sterlo58

Looks great. I would never post my first and only attempt at making a knife. Mine was a disaster. :rolleyes:

Let's just say mine makes yours look like it was made by a seasoned pro. :rofl:

Keep at it.

Last edited:

Redbow

I would be very proud to carry a Knife that looks that good into the woods with me or anyplace else...No doubt you will make many beautiful Knives in the near future...

carver

David, you don't give yourself enough credit.That's a fine looking knife.

dmedd

Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice comments. I do love to tinker. :biggrin3: