the best thing to use in wood carving?

outdoorgirl

I like to carve wooden canes out of sticks....you know, the realy cool looking sticks that have vines that have wrapped around them. I also like to burn designs in them....the best thing for that so far is using a piece of welding flux and a torch, but I have a hard time carving all of the bark of of the stick. That is one of the first steps and it takes me forever. What is the best thing to use for this? I will take any tips on carving wood.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A set of wood carvin` knives with special shaped blades for different applications sounds like what you`re lookin` for. A Dremel tool with a flex-shaft and a set of cuttin` and sandin` tips also comes in handy. I like to use a drawknife to remove the bark from wood.

Handgunner

jedediah said:
I use a pocket knife. The trick is to do it just after you cut it.
Echo that twice.

It's best to skin the sticks right after you cut them.. and then let them dry slowly in a shaded area, or in your house.

If they dry too fast, they tend to crack.

Burl E.

nicodemus said:
A set of wood carvin` knives with special shaped blades for different applications sounds like what you`re lookin` for. A Dremel tool with a flex-shaft and a set of cuttin` and sandin` tips also comes in handy. I like to use a drawknife to remove the bark from wood.
I second the draw knife idea. A dremel tool is a good idea, also Skinin' um green.

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
You can also dampen the bark as you are carving with a damp cloth and it will help. A good carving knife or pocket knife is best for control but it must be sharp. The type of wood will affect the ability to remove the bark -ie if you have chosen a dogwood stick it will be tougher than most woods. A bigger angle on the cutting edge of the blade is required for cutting harder woods. Sharpen up that knife and carve away. A good sharp draw knife will also,work well.

CAL

I have made a few as well and like most have posted skin the stick green and scrape it clean with a knife.A good coating of peanut cooking oil every day for three days will keep it from cracking or checking.Just wipe it on with your hands.Put as much as the wood will stand each time.Good luck with your walking sticks.