Rip Cedar Tree's for planks

Luke0927

See what you folks think about this, I'm going to cut down a fairly decent sized juniper and a cedar tree. didn't really know what I wanted to do with them i didn't want to burn them in the fire place then I got to thinking since I was going to make my wife few raised garden beds I could rip them down and use them for the planks....now I would to do it with the chainsaw what would be the best way to set it up and rip it down...like I said not making anything for furniture grade etc...just need a good way to set them up and rip them down in say 2"x boards.

do you really need a rip chain for doing a small thing like this?

Thanks

bnew17

If you have a big enough saw...ive seen an attachment that goes on your saw , which is hooked onto the log. Its kinda like a portable saw mill. Theres some videos of it on youtube i believe. WOrks good if your saws strong enough.

Luke0927

I think I've seen one of those its bar attachement where you can turn you saw sideways and it will keep your cut even all the way through?

Luke0927

There not huge I'll have to take a look I was hoping to get a few boards maybe 16" diameter like I said as long as I could rip them down even the first cut off the side I wouldn't really even need to have that outer side cut.

but really don't want to put a whole lot into it would be nice to drop it down laid it down and just ripped it down...seems like i could have some help and just keep adding a wedge as I'm going down...might could set it up on some pallets that way its off the ground and just rip it right down.

thomas the redneck

the alaskan sawmill works real good i think you need a 20 inch bar for it if you dont have much to do you can raise it up off the ground and block them down good and use a chalk line and just take your time and do an ok job better with practice
BUT to do a good rip cut with a chain saw you will need to change the pitch on the teeth i cant recall what it is right now but 5 degrees more than stock sounds right
we built a cord wood log home a few years back and i learned alot about just what you can do with a chain saw and some things you shouldnt try

Luke0927

Thanks Thomas is that what the rip chain is already at the degree? I think for this small job I will just raise it off the ground and like you said use a chalk line.

bnew17

I think I've seen one of those its bar attachement where you can turn you saw sideways and it will keep your cut even all the way through?

yep, thats the alaskan saw mill that others have mentioned as well. Ive always read good things about it.

RGRJN

I do it all the time with a regular chain for small jobs. I like to use a 2x3 or4 so I don't lose my line in dust. Just screw it to the tree. Make sure your chain is sharp and depending on how many cuts, ensure you have your file as it will dull quickly. Take your time, it's a very slow cutting process, especially without a ripping chain. I buy dedicated ripping chain for some cuts,tried changing the angle my self, but to do it right there is more to it than that. Has do to with top/side angles and cutter heights. Just as easy to buy one and hope I can find it::; when I need it, for bigger jobs.

Joe

Luke0927

Thanks RGRJN the board idea is a good one was wondering about the chalk line getting covered up.

dslary

I would call Suwanee lumber company. They have a saw mill out back and could do it quicker and with less waste than a chain saw. In the end it might cost you just a little more than your do it yourself idea. I would never burn cedar in a fireplace, it pops and cracks way too much.

Latest posts