degrees?

wrestler

hey guys. I'm in the eleventh grade right now, and am starting to think about collage. well i need some of ya'll to advise me, alright?

well I know I need the US army to pay for my college (and I have no problem witht that, seeing as how that is what I want to do anyways) and after I get out of the service I am thinking of working at the GA Dnr or in some sort of law enforcement. I was wondering what ya'll think would be a good degree that would help me in those fields?

merc123

Go look at the DNR website. They have qualifications (degrees) that you need in order to work as a game warden. I just don't know them off the top of my head.

May just need to google "Georgia game warden qualifications"

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Accounting is a very versatile degree. It will let you give you a great general business background and it will qualify you for the all sorts of Federal law enforcement positions which pay a lot better than State positions.

wrestler

i dont like math haha

aligator

I have spent 23 years in Law Enforcement, 20 years in the Air Force and 3 with the Dept. of Interior. No problem with the Army but you may want to look into the Air Force(you would expect me to say that). Lets say your in the Air Force for 4 years, go to school on your off duty time, don't wait until you get out. Take Police Science courses, You should be able to get an AA during that time. A lot of police dept. will hire you with an AA.(min.requirement) After 4 years, use your G.I. Bill for a 4 year school(if it is still in effect.). Good Luck.:flag:

wrestler

hey bud, thx for the info, but i really want to go into the army. i know i want to do rotc... i think im gonna go talk to a recruiter sometime.

merc123

If you're going to do ROTC without a doubt go to North GA College in Dahlonega. IMO the program seems "dumb" while you do it but when you see some of the other part-time ROTC colleges that has ROTC as an extra curricular instead of a full time implementation program you can see how bad they are.

golffreak

Criminal Justice comes to mind. Leaves several options open.

Sure does. My cousin got a Criminal Justice degree. After working for the Houston, TX police department, he is now working for the FBI and loving it.

stasher1

Accounting is a very versatile degree. It will let you give you a great general business background and it will qualify you for the all sorts of Federal law enforcement positions which pay a lot better than State positions.

Depending on where you attend school, it may be possible to pick up some forensic accounting/fraud examination classes as your electives while working on a Criminal Justice degree. If you decide to go this route, be prepared to take Accounting 101 (or something comparable) first. It'll save you a lot of headaches later. Been there, done that.

With that said, the FBI really likes accountants...

stasher1

One more thing...

Keep your nose clean. If you decide to pursue a career in LE, you will be asked about every stupid criminal thing you've ever done (petty theft, drug use, etc.) in detail, regardless of whether or not you were caught doing it....and don't think you can lie about it like you would on a McDonalds application, because it will come up during the polygraph. ;)

The less stupid stuff you do now, the less you have to explain later.

wrestler

man, i aint ever done anything illegal in my life and don't plan on it. i'm keeping it straight edge and living for God, and i dont plan on srtaying from that. j/s

golffreak

Regardless of what you decide to do, I commend you for looking ahead towards your future. I see and employ way too many Juniors and Seniors in high school that have no clue nor do they care about what they are going to do. You are ahead of the game..keep it that way and you will be fine.

rjcruiser

i dont like math haha

Accounting really isn't much math. Basic math, but that is it. Really, I didn't like math either, but am a numbers person. Accounting is the language of biz and is a great springboard for any career.

With that said, the FBI really likes accountants...

x2 Just look at their website if you're curious. No openings, except for a few specialized fields and accounting is one of them.

jcountry

Accounting really isn't much math. Basic math, but that is it. Really, I didn't like math either, but am a numbers person. Accounting is the language of biz and is a great springboard for any career.

x2 Just look at their website if you're curious. No openings, except for a few specialized fields and accounting is one of them.

Accounting is the DEVIL!

(I took two quarters in college and wanted to punch myself in the brain!)

-Someone once told me the key to being a good accountant-they said "you will love accounting if you love puzzles."

Unfortunately, I HATE math, and I HATE puzzles even more. (but thank goodness someone like that stuff, because the world needs good accountants.)

*As for the original poster, I would be much more interested in ROTC than the GI bill. I think ROTC will help pay your way, and you will get to enter as an officer.

-And who knows, you may find out you like something totally different. You will be exposed to a lot of options in college, and maybe you would want to do something you haven't even imagined yet. Keep an open mind-college is a great adventure!

golffreak

I've have 5 different accounting classes on my transript. Anything past Accounting II is a big fat pain in the neck. Nothing easy about it.

garnede

I know everyone is suggesting a criminal justice degree, but I think you would be better served with a wildlife management or forestry degree or even fisheries degree. The reason being is if you become an MP you will get the experience you need for the law enforcement side of the job, then your degree will give you the knowlege base for working for a wildlife management agency.

If you get a degree in criminal justice then do something besides becoming an MP in the military. this will give you divirsified experiences and make you a more valuable employee.

Davis31052

In regards to how you plan to pay for your college, have you considered the U.S. Coast Guard?

I believe they offer the same programs as the other Defense Branches, but you will get your training to fight here at home, protecting U.S. borders.

I know they perform law enforcement duties in drug interdiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missions_of_the_United_States_Coast_Guard

Ex-Marine and Army Reserve here. Now Civil Service for the US Air Force.

Latest posts