New form of spam -- Instant Messaging--???

Well, I'm getting a new form of spam. I never ever use IM, don't have an address book, absolutely nothing to do with IM.

So I've starting getting IM's from someone I've never heard of, with a generic message such as "how yu doing." Always a woman's name of course.

Odd thing is that they only show up on the page when I'm looking at my throwaway email account.

Anyone have this happening to them?

Not a big deal, slightly annoying.

GoldDot40

What kind of "IM" programs do you have? MSN Messenger? It sounds more like a spyware issue. Have you run your anti-spyware/anti-virus programs to see if they detect anything? Delete your cookies and temp internet files lately?

stasher1

The only time I've seen this sort of thing is on...ahem..."adult" sites.

It's not really an IM, it's just a pop-up. I'd be willing to bet that if you were to click on it to reply, you'd be redirected to some kind of "adult friend finder" type of website.

What kind of "IM" programs do you have? MSN Messenger? It sounds more like a spyware issue. Have you run your anti-spyware/anti-virus programs to see if they detect anything? Delete your cookies and temp internet files lately?

Whatever IM comes with AOL. Like I said, I'm not familiar with it because I don't use it.

Sort of looks like the "big beautiful blonde wants to meet you" spam e-mails.

I've run all the spyware stuff, and added a supercookie remover. I was surprised at the cookies it found -- never heard of most of the sites.

Must have taken care of it, because it hasn't happened since I posted.

The only time I've seen this sort of thing is on...ahem..."adult" sites.

I'm not saying nothing about nothing.

:biggrin2:

It's not really an IM, it's just a pop-up. I'd be willing to bet that if you were to click on it to reply, you'd be redirected to some kind of "adult friend finder" type of website.

That makes sense -- although I'm supposed to be running a pop-up blocker. It only came up on the e-mail page. I'm sure you are correct about the consequences.