Pepper plants

Swampy

Maybe a stupid question to ask, but that's never stopped me before:

Is it possible for pepper plants to survive over winter? I've got a couple of jalapeno plants that are still bright green. Production has dropped off obviously, but as of a couple of days ago, there will still blooms.

I was just wondering if I mulched them heavily and/or put them under plastic over winter if they would survive to come out in Spring. Also, assuming the plant survived, would they produce again?

Not much involved, I may try it just to see...

Ballplayer

They will survive and make more peppers, but if you cover them in plastic just make sure you uncover them each day or they'll burn from the heat under the plastic. The same goes for tomatoes too.

GAFLAjd

We had some that got covered with morning glory vines before frost. When frost hit it zapped the mg vines and the tops of the peppers. It was a relatively mild winter and the dead vines and tips sheltered the growing points of the plants. When it warmed up in the spring, they were back in business.

Swampy

Thanks for the info - I'm going to try to save a couple of these plants. I've always thought they were annuals, but these plants still look great so I was wondering if it was possible. I googled one article that said certain varieties could live up to 8 years (though production is only best for the first 2-3). These plants really put put a lot more pepper than I could use, and they were good.