How to improve sense of direction?

kg4ghn

Opening day of bow season I hunted in an area I haven't been two in 2-3 years. Found my way to the stand fine, didn't see anything so I decided to take the long way back to the truck to do a little scouting/stalking. I got turned around and eventually got to the point where I had no idea where I was at. I had to call my brother to come up and get me, he knew pretty much exactly where I was at.

I have always had no sense of direction, it's like my internal compass is broken. Not just in the woods, even driving places I get lost pretty easy.

What can I do to make my internal compass work better, so I can get around the woods easier? Sunday evening I went to a new spot and was walking out after dark. I ended up almost lost again. I actually did know where I was at and was going the right direction, but I kept second-guessing myself because I know how bad my sense of direction is.

Backlasher82

You can get a hand held GPS real cheap, a compass is even cheaper.

Sargent

I get lost in a paper bag.

GPS was invented for me.

Before that, I had to rely on a compass. Sometimes I incorporated surveyor's tape into the mix as well.

To this day, I habitually visualize a trail and make mental notes of landmarks.

I also make mental notes of my heading. I carry a compass as backup to the GPS.

Google "Orienteering" and browse. There is lots of good information about compass usage and improvising if you ever find yourself without GPS or a compass.

Oldstick

Don't feel bad, I don't think there is anyone with a built in sense of direction. That requires visual cues.

In the woods most everything looks the exactly the same so clues are very hard to come by. A lot of folks have spent a lot of time at it and gotten themselves trained to ignore the more confusing scenery and focus on the easier to recognize landmarks, a certain group of trees, a depression in the ground, continually noting the position of the sun for a rough feel of East-West. But that kind of stuff really is only safe for short distances.

Like others said, the compass, maps, and GPS are made for good reason, people need them.

Last edited:

Trizey

Learn to tell your direction by the sun position during daylight. Visualize how the land lays with your mind. I've had a lot of experience in the mountains that have helped me.

win280

print out a google map of your property and mark the trails, stand locations,creeks etc and study it as you scout. It will help you understand the lay of the land.

FX Jenkins

If your hunting somewhere around Rome...you should be able to get a topo map or areal photo of the area your hunting, and be able to identify some terrain features...as opposed to the pine flats of middle/south Ga, where its pretty easy to get turned around in. Spending time in maps, and then making terrain associations is a good way to sharpen your navigational skills. For me it comes down to visualization, If I can mentally see an overhead picture of the area I'm in, I can see where I'm at on the ground by noting water bodies, ridge lines, meadows, slope topography etc.

And the sun is a giveme if its not completely overcast...

Ole Crip

Orange tape,glow tacks,and never rome the woods if your not confident in your senses.One more thing always carry 2 flashlights.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Someone posted not long ago in a similar thread to stop every so often and look behind you and study the scenery. Everything looks different on the way out than it did no the way in. Familiarize yourself with it on the way in.

Jim Baker

Staff member
A good compass.

If you are like me with basically no sense of direction then the sun is no good before daylight and in the evening, overcast days or in thick woods.

GPS does not alway work in thick woods either.

You don't want to leave makers everywhere, but you can mark used trails with flagging tape and always tie the knot on the north side using the aforementioned compass

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
As stated above a hand held GPS or compass is the best way. I own both.

One thing to do is always know your direction of travel from the camp/truck. Sun ALWAYS comes up in the east and ALWAYS sets in the west. This alone helps with half the battle. Dont go in or come out in the pitch dark. Like this you will be able to easily distinguish east and west.

With east on your left, straight ahead is south. With east on your right straight ahead is north, and vise versa. Same applies with west on right or left.

Also listen closely for sounds like a highway, railroad, factory, etc. Know which way those sounds are, from where you are and travel toward or away from them accordingly.

Know things like if you find the river/creek bank do you need to travel upstream or downstream to get to your destination.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

aligator

I was always able to fine the road back but never knew for certain if the truck was parked up or down the road. I started to park by a telephone pole and checking the number tag on the pole When I got to the road I would check and know if I had to got higher or lower to find the truck.:flag:

trial&error

sun only works if you can see it, gps only works if it can see the sky, compass is best bet and knowing road/trail layouts. Sounds can help alot too.

kg4ghn

Ok, thanks guys.

I have a compass in my camping stuff, I'll pull it out and put it in my hunting pack. GPS is in the future at some point, but I'll still need to get around until then. The land I hunt on isn't huge, and it's split by the road that goes pretty much N/S. So as long as I can find east/west then I should be able to find the road.

Oldstick

Ok, thanks guys.

I have a compass in my camping stuff, I'll pull it out and put it in my hunting pack. GPS is in the future at some point, but I'll still need to get around until then. The land I hunt on isn't huge, and it's split by the road that goes pretty much N/S. So as long as I can find east/west then I should be able to find the road.

That's exactly the idea right there. It's mainly a matter of sitting down and planning ahead, thinking of exactly how you can use all the landmarks and aids that are available. Starting from the point you leave the known parking area.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
A compass is the most important piece of equipment to have in your pocket. It works all the time. Make a mental note as to what directions your landmarks generally travel. A road can run north and south as can a creek but be careful as both can change directions. As someone else said, the sun will always tell you directions. I can get into trouble in flatwoods on overcast days.

The most surefire way to exit even strange woods in the pitch black dark is as follows:

1. Stand at your entry point, be it a road, trail, truck,etc...

2. Point the front of your compass (direction doesn't matter) towards your stand or line of travel.

3. Align the dot on your bezel to magnetic north. If your compass doesn't have an indicator, use the 360 degree mark.

4. Put the compass in your pocket and walk to your destination. You can keep this setting and return before daylight w/o the use of flags etc...

5. When you are ready to exit the woods, align your indicator to the south arrow and follow the front of your

compass back to your starting point.