Dash lights not working ater cd player install

ronmac13

I took my aftermarket cd player out of my 99 camaro and put it in my truck. After buying one for my truck, I went to put the same cd player back in my car. Hooked the same wires up as previously, but now my dash lights don't work. Any ideas?

boneboy96

faulty ground?

GoldDot40

I took my aftermarket cd player out of my 99 camaro and put it in my truck. After buying one for my truck, I went to put the same cd player back in my car. Hooked the same wires up as previously, but now my dash lights don't work. Any ideas?

The whole gauge cluster dims down when the lights are switched on.

So the dash lights don't work? Or they are just dim?

Did you have to remove the trim piece the surrounds the gauges to remove/install the head unit? Is it possible your dimmer adjustment got turned (assuming you didn't check it)?

What type of aftermarket head unit is it? Did you use an aftermarket harness that plugs directly into the OE harness. I know some of the aftermarket radios tie into the dash dim circuit that also dims the radio's lights when the headlights are on.

ronmac13

They don't light up at all, my mileage and trip miles are digital they dim down when the headlights come on. It's a Sony xplode. Now harness I had to run new speaker wire from all four speakers. The only stock wires used were the ground, constant power, and switched power.

Rivershot

The only stock wires used were the ground, constant power, and switched power.

You used the wrong ground. What you thought was the ground was actually the power for the back lighting of the stock unit and you blew a fuse. If you put a test light on the wire ground tou are using now and too power and turn on the light it will go out but will act like a grnd when the lights are off.

jigman29

I have the same radio and when I put it in my 2002 chevy truck mine quit working as well.I havent figured it out either,good luck with it be sure to post how you fix it.